PDA

View Full Version : Have heard of this vacuum pump?

NH Maplemaker
03-04-2009, 08:33 PM
Has anyone had any experience with a Universal vacuum pump? I tap an orchard next door to mine. Sap is collected at neighbors barn. The vacuum system he has is a universal vacuum milk pump (on tag) He is reluctant to let me change it ! This a dull piston vacuum pump .Just wondering what I can expect for CFM and number of taps it would handle. Or any info on these pumps! Thanks in advance!!

Jim L.

Russell Lampron
03-05-2009, 05:34 AM
Jim did you mean "dual" piston pump as in 2 cylinders? A piston pump it is more desirable a than a rotary vane pump. The Surge piston pumps are highly sought after and can pull 22" of vacuum all day and night without a problem. Don't change it out unless it doesn't pull enough cfm's to maintain a good vacuum level.

NH Maplemaker
03-05-2009, 06:18 AM
Yes Russ yes I met Dual ! I get to going to fast and miss spell words !
I have been using this pump for a few years over there, but there was only a 1/2 inch main line there. So don't really have any idea what this pump will pull or maintain for CFM !! I just replaced the 1/2 inch with 1500 feet of 1 inch ! So I'm hoping for big improvement. Never changed it before now, as he (owner) was unsure of what his family would do with the place after they took it over!! But this year the family told me they had no plans on doing anything different there for a long time!

Jim L.

Russell Lampron
03-05-2009, 11:34 AM
Jim I hope that it works good for you. That way when you are swimming in sap you will have more money to put towards an RO machine and not have to buy a vacuum pump too.

NH Maplemaker
03-05-2009, 07:55 PM
Russ, Like the way you think!! If I can get the amount of sap up ,Than RO is in the plan for sure !!

Russell Lampron
03-06-2009, 05:22 AM
Jim,

The 1" mainline should make a big difference. You now have some room for vacuum over the sap. How many inches of vacuum have you run in the past with this pump?