PDA

View Full Version : Lots of questions!!!

allofus427
04-10-2003, 04:35 PM
I am very new to this. I just tapped 2 trees in my yard. How do I know when to stop collecting the sap?(I have just over 11 gallons of sap since Wednesday) Where in my area can I purchase taps? What color should the sap be? Thanks

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
04-10-2003, 04:53 PM
The best thing I could tell you is to get a book that is entitled Backyard Sugarin(85 pages). Since you are just starting out, it will help you a lot. You may also want to get a book entitled North American Maple Syrup producers guide(180+ pages). Both of the books run around $ 10.00 and it would be worth you time to read them. There is so much info to tell you, I wouldn't know where to begin!

Both of the above books are available at www.bascommaple.com. They also have taps and any other supplies you need. The sap should be clear as water, but it is very late in the season to tap this year!

If you order anything, they usually ship same day and you would have them in 2 to 3 days!

Hope this helps!

Brandon

04-10-2003, 05:57 PM
All you need and need to know about maple supplies will be here, cause we all come here. Schambach Maple inc. 13030 route 39 Sardinia, NY 14134 phone 716-496-5127

syrupmaker
04-10-2003, 11:00 PM
Schambach's is the place ,Kevin and Karen will help you with all you need. If your down near the Olean area try Randy Sprague in Portville. And if you near the Wellsville area the man to call is Plaisted Maple in Troupsburg. They all have a selection of all the goodies you would need to get started.If your around my area give me a call 716-867-2866 (cell)and i'll drop off a copy of the producers manual that westvirginiamapler mentioned and you can save the $10.00 to put towards taps and other goodies.

Rick

syrupmaker
04-10-2003, 11:03 PM
I would also have some buckets and taps you could borrow if you really wanted to see if the bug has bit ya. (for next year, to late now)

mapleman3
04-11-2003, 05:11 AM
Allofus... don't do it.. they are just luring you in to their web. maple suggaring is a sickness and it hits hard :wink: ... I caught it and it has a grip on me, :lol: symptoms are the want for bigger and better equipment... and the endless need to get on the mapletrader for info!!!

seriously it's a wonderfull hobby for me, you will have a blast. as long as you keep it fun as most will tell you !!

good luck and enjoy
Jim
http://briefcase.yahoo.com/mapleman3

syrupmaker
04-11-2003, 07:28 AM
Mapleman........shhuuuush don't give away all the info about our nasty habits.Hook line sinker.

mapleman3
04-11-2003, 07:41 AM
Sorry Syrupmaker...hehehe :wink:

backyardsugarer
04-11-2003, 09:33 AM
Welcome to the fraterinty. The sap should be clear and sweet, but it is too late now in the NY area (buds are out). Leader.com has a list of dealers where you can get taps. Don't hold the sap too long before you boil. Don't boil off a lot in your house. Wall paper will tear and make a mess out of your kitchen area if you boil large amounts. I have a hobby size evaporator in the Rochester area that can do about 10 gallons of sap an hour with a pre -heater that I will be looking to unload cheap. If you are interested or just have more questions let me know. I'll be happy to help.

Chris

Goodenough
04-11-2003, 02:48 PM
Hi Chris, I may also be interested in your evaporator if you decide to let it go. I do about 3-4 gallons over in Pittsford on a cinder block arch in my back yard. Dave