PDA

View Full Version : Homemade preheater copper ?

skillet
03-04-2009, 06:21 PM
I rigged up a 10 piece of 3/8 flex copper rapped around my stack. The question is i did not run water down it to clean in out after we ran out of sap. Well some sap burnt in the line. How do i clean it out? Will the burnt sap in the line affect the raw sap running next time if i don't clean it. Or should i just replace it? Any advice ???

Thanks
skillet

tessiersfarm
03-04-2009, 06:28 PM
I burned mine a time or two last year and I never noticed any adverse effects. I would just run the first pint or so of liquid through it onto the ground.

KenWP
03-09-2009, 06:42 PM
Okay I need help. Does a preheater useing copper tubeing have to be open on one end or can I attach both ends to the container its hooked to and make a loop and keep recirculating the sap.

KenWP
03-09-2009, 09:20 PM
Guess nobody knows the answer. Will just have to build it and see if it works.

chardo
03-09-2009, 09:28 PM
Okay I need help. Does a preheater useing copper tubeing have to be open on one end or can I attach both ends to the container its hooked to and make a loop and keep recirculating the sap.

What you are describing is a convective loop. Draw the cooler sap off the bottom of the tank and return it to the top of the tank. as the sap is heated it expands and becomes less dense and rises to the top.
The larger the tubing the better the convective flow will be.

Chardo
(edit) The cool sapshould also enter the bottom of the coil of copper.

Haynes Forest Products
03-09-2009, 10:19 PM
You will end up with luke warm sap and that doesnt help much you need it HOT HOT HOT to help with the evaporation rate.

KenWP
03-09-2009, 10:35 PM
As long as it recirculates through the tube is all I am looking for. I need to get the sap warmer to put in the real preheater so that it gets hot enough in it to evaporate. I am just trying to use up all the heat that the actual pan dosn't use.