PDA

View Full Version : Has anybody else started tapping?

vernon.gil@gmail.com
03-04-2009, 09:13 AM
Based on the weather forecast for next seven days and the fact I will be out of town until friday, I started taping a few trees monday ( 50 or so) and I had a few that started to dip. 45 miles northwest of Eau Claire.

bison1973
03-04-2009, 09:39 AM
I'm in SE Clark CO. With the temps it looks like it could be time to tap (we put in near 700). But the calendar says it's too early. We usually don't tap until about aroung the 15th give or take a few days. But I'd hate to miss anything if it stays warm. But there are conflicting reports in the extended weather forcasts. Some says cold again by early next week. What are others going to do?

markcasper
03-04-2009, 02:22 PM
I am from western Dunn County. I have heard of a few guys starting to tap the south hillsides. There is not as much frost in the woods as I thought, about 6 inches. I checked it 2 days ago and was surprised it wasn't deeper.

Iv'e had to work lots of overtime and it does not seem to slow up-thought hard about just forgetting it this year. I guess I will tap some and if I can't use my new RO, then all my efforts for this year will have been wasted.

I probably will start in the next few days, but I don't expect much for 1-2 weeks.

Rhino
03-04-2009, 03:50 PM
Mark, we are waiting to see what local 7 day forecast is come Fri. March 6th. If they say cool down we are waiting. If not we will start to tap Sat. 7th. We are in Price and Lincoln Co. Talked with the local grave digger and he said 2 feet of frost, so it will take awhile by us. My test tap today was a drip every 11 seconds so not getting nervous yet. Just busy washing everything up.

Monroecheeseman
03-04-2009, 07:50 PM
I finally got 10 taps in! Tried to tap Sunday but it was to darn cold. Tapped them after work today and it's dripping pretty good. Makes me feel like spring is coming when i've got some taps in! Might put a few more in Thursday so i can get the cooker going this weekend.

markcasper
03-04-2009, 10:05 PM
Rhino, Just a thought.....frost will go deeper in the open than in the woods. I am really surprised there is not 3-4 feet of frost in the cemetary.

ryan marquette
03-05-2009, 05:36 AM
I have been working on tapping a few here and there. Tapped some of my tubing yesterday everything I tapped was dripping. Most trees are soft maple & I have pretty much zero frost under the snow.

Rhino
03-05-2009, 06:06 AM
Mark, Thats true. watched local weather this morning, all of them have a cool down sarting next wednesday, Big question is how long will it last??? Will keep waiting to tap and watching the weather.

WI Sugarpop
03-05-2009, 05:11 PM
Put in 60 taps on Tuesday. Collected 25 gals. today. Looks like it will run good for about a week, then cool off.

Sugar Daddy
03-07-2009, 12:39 PM
Put most of the taps in this morning. All but a few trees are running - dripping at a drop per second.

inthewoods
03-08-2009, 03:46 PM
tapped 200 on 3-3-09
collected 190 gal on 3-6-09
helped my friend tap 1225 yesterday 2 drills and 8 men