PDA

View Full Version : February 28- 1st batch

valleyman
03-04-2009, 08:27 AM
I'm a newcomer. Just a backyard hobbiest. Sap was flowing well last week in Ansonia. Boiled down a small batch to 1 1/2 quarts finished syrup.

This is addicting.

Valleyman

ebourassa
03-04-2009, 04:13 PM
sounds like the maple bug got another victim, just wait it gets worsts, spring time comes and you start looking at all the maples around you and wonder why no one has tap them, and thats just the begining. i dont think they found a cure yet. LOL

welcome to the trader and good luck

valleyman
03-09-2009, 07:37 AM
ebourassa,

LOL. That's funny. Your're right. My wife's ready to dump me after this weekend. "Why do you have to obsess over this syup thing.It's taking over your life" she said.

I'm getting hookked for sure. Any known cure?

swierczt
03-09-2009, 11:31 AM
More trees to tap and a bigger evaporator!

markct
03-09-2009, 07:24 PM
wow thats exactly what my girlfriend said last year! this maple thing has taken over your life and your obsessed! well i assured her while i was making my small barrel stove type evaporator that i just wanted to make a little syrup and wouldnt go crazy. made about 8 gallons the whole season boiling on that thing. now this year i have boiled for about 3 days and made over 10 gallons on my 2x8ft evaporator that i bought pans for and built the arch, then of course last years small sugarhouse had to be doubled in size to fit the evaporator,bottler,barrels,pumps etc, had to put the 300 gallon milk tank behind the sugarhouse for sap storage, tubing run to 325 trees. yea maybe she was right about me being obbsesed and taking over my life! if ya wanna stop by and see my operation sometime send me a pm and we can find a time. ansonia is only about 30 minutes or so away i think, im just north of thomaston off rt8

mcadamj1
03-12-2009, 07:47 AM
When I told a local farmer that my boyfriend and I were going to make some syrup he warned me about the "bug". I really didn't think someone could get so addicted to sugaring, but now after a new evaporator and 300+ taps, I see that its true lol. It's fun though and there are a lot of nice sugarmakers to be met.