PDA

View Full Version : Exeter/Brentwood Tapped

Rockingham Maple
03-03-2009, 07:18 PM
I saw the weather forecast, saw days of above freezing weather and went for it on Wednesday last week. I ended up with 84 taps on buckets. I let the sap sit in the buckets until Saturday morning so that it would keep my buckets from blowing away in the winds.

I ended up with about 80 gallons of sap (not bad!) and finished off my first 5 quarts of the season.

However, why is it that the weathermen can be so wrong and still keep their jobs? I saw 9 days out of 10 on the extended forecast and beautiful weather as I was tapping. Now my buckets are under 12 inches of snow and days WELL below freezing.

I think after the season is over I will start my profession as a meteorologist for job security.

Stickey
03-03-2009, 08:42 PM
NOAA shows a warm up starting Friday. Blue Hawk?

Rockingham Maple
03-03-2009, 10:48 PM
Yup, they just put the home of the Blue Hawks right near my parents house a few years ago.So much for the peace and quiet!

I hope that they are right this time, I am antsy for the real season to start! I found a lot of virgin trees for this season. We'll see how they do!

Stickey
03-03-2009, 11:19 PM
Sorry to hear it. The Tuck was classic. I hope you didn't lose too many trees. At least you can stay up to date with how well coach Ball's team is doing. I graduated under the Radar in 97, you?

michelle32
03-04-2009, 08:08 AM
All taped in Pittsfield. 224 taps all reds. Just up graded from a half pint. Spent way to much time boiling last year boiling.Can't wait just got a new evaporator. Leader 2x6 drop flue. Let there be big sap.

lacewood
03-10-2009, 10:52 AM
My oldest son goes to EHS, plays for coach Ball....great guy, and great stadium they built over there. Can imagine it gets a bit loud at your parents house!

SWEETSAP
03-10-2009, 09:25 PM
I have an older 2X6 leader oil fired drop flue with a steam hood and preheater. It seems to do about 30 gallons per hour.