PDA

View Full Version : Please Help Main Line Clogged!!

Leader Steamaway 6x10
03-03-2009, 06:04 PM
My main sap line is clogged with nothing coming through.

I don't want to make a bunch of cuts in the line until I find the blockage- it is not as easy as tubing to connect/disconnect.

So.. Can you give me any good ideas for how to find the blockage in the line while doing minimal damage? Anything would be appreciated! Thanks

maplwrks
03-03-2009, 06:19 PM
Has it got ice in it from spring washing?? You may need to let it warm up a little before it loosens up.

KenWP
03-03-2009, 06:29 PM
There is tiney plugs for the black mainline that work to find plugs. You drill a hole in places and then glue these little plugs in.

fred
03-03-2009, 07:27 PM
sounds like a mouse ,unless your tubing doesnt have grade.try pumping water or air from the top side

Haynes Forest Products
03-03-2009, 08:11 PM
First do you have vacuum or just gravity. The plugs KENWP talk about are called goof plugs and you get them at a sprinkler supply. We use them when we GOOF up and punch a hole in the wrong place or stab a edge pit thru the POLY. Do not glue they are rubber and poly wont glue. They will not leak if installed in a small 1/8 hole. If you have a main line and its clogged cant you pull lines off the stars and find the blockage?

KenWP
03-04-2009, 12:25 AM
I actually buy mine at a place called Lee valley Tools. I used them to fix holes for the sprinkelrs in hog barns. Another way to fix it is to split a short peice of mainline down one side and slip it over the hole and clamp it with a hose clamp. I used to fix pvc that way also by glueing it and clamping it with a hose clamp until the glue dried or is some cases just left the clamp there as back up.

Russell Lampron
03-04-2009, 05:44 AM
If you have vacuum turn it on and go up the line checking laterals. When you don't have vacuum anymore concentrate your search in that area of the mainline.

If you don't have vacuum connect water pressure to it either by a hose to your house water system or by using a tank of water and sap pump. Go up the line checking laterals until you don't have water coming out anymore and look in that area.

Don't drill any holes into the mainline if you can help it. If you have to drill a hole wrap the pipe with electrical tape and put a hose clamp around it.

Uncle Tucker
03-04-2009, 05:51 AM
Try using a toilet snake, when it stops you know where the block is. I have one in my basement if you want to borrow it. It’s only used twice.

Just kidding!!!!! You could use mainline wire and curl the end round.

maple sapper
03-04-2009, 07:27 AM
It may sound redundant but you could try making up a fitting to attatch at the top of the system then attatch to a compressor. Then crank up the pressure. walk down the main line and tap it every couple feet to see if it will loosen up. It sounds like all your taps are in. Or You flushed it and nothing came out? I think I use your latterals to diagnose where the blockage starts. If air is leaking out of the taps of connections then you got to move down the line.

danno
03-05-2009, 12:20 PM
I'm waiting for the results on this one - ice, mouse, acorn?

Homestead Maple
03-05-2009, 09:00 PM
Russell had the best idea to find out where the block is if there is vacuum on the system. I'm hoping a little weather above freezing helps him out.