PDA

View Full Version : Evaporator Question(s)

Grizz747
03-02-2009, 06:47 PM
I am getting ready to tap this weekend. Here are my questions. I am building a block arch and was going to use 3 or 4 steam tray pans to evaporate. Looking at Bascoms they have some used 2x4 or similar size cross flow syrup pans for sale. What is the difference between welded and soldered ? Is there an advantage? Will these pans with 1 divider get the sap close to syrup or is it better to have 2 or 3 dividers. I could go with the steam pans but I think I will outgrow by next year so the investment in real pans may be wiser.

__________________________________________________ __
Scott
25 taps
4 steam pans?
Low on experience
High on Enthusiasm

chrisnjake9
03-02-2009, 07:05 PM
a friend of mine just bought a nice 2X5 cross flow at Bascom's for 200 or 300 hundred that was welded. welded is nicer but you might find a soldered pan cheaper.watch the older soldered pans they were lead soldered although i used one for a long time with no ill effects. put a ad hear maybe some one has one good luck Bascom's is nice but pricey

maple flats
03-02-2009, 07:11 PM
My 3 evaporators I have had over the years have all been soldered. Until a few years ago all were soldered. In recent years everyone has gone to welded. It is my understanding that a welded pan can tolerate a little more in the line of problems you might have when boiling. Neither can be run dry, a soldered would melt the solder and a welded would warp big time. If you get soldered make sure it is lead free solder or don't clean the solder to be bright and shiney or lead could get into the syrup. (but all were lead type solder 50 years ago) If you have a choice the welded is probably a better choice.

Bucket Head
03-02-2009, 07:16 PM
Grizz,

If you can do it, go with the factory made pan. If you plan on making syrup for years to come, the investment will be worth it. The steam tray type pans won't be worth much after one season'n use! The factory pan will have some worth if you decide to upgrade in the future.

I'm thinking the more divisions you have will be better. You will have more of a gradient across the pan. That is'nt to say a single division won't make syrup. Years ago we made lots of syrup with three separate flat pans that had no divisions!

A welded pan would be more preferrable than a soldered one, but welding comes with a heftier price tag. A soldered pan will be fine. Just don't burn a soldered pan. The solder melts and then the pan separates at the seams. A welded pan will warp if it burns, but it will stay together. It won't look too nice after that, but after its cleaned up you can continue boiling. If your pan comes apart, your done. Really done.

Steve

Bucket Head
03-02-2009, 07:19 PM
Wow. Either yous guys type really fast, or I'm really slow. Or its a little of both!

Steve

Grizz747
03-04-2009, 06:31 PM
If I am interpreting this right you can make syrup with only 1 division but 2 would be better to set up the continuos process? Is that the gradient?

brookledge
03-04-2009, 09:51 PM
Yes Each section would have a different gradient provided it didn't foam up and mix. If the pan you are refering to is shallow then it may be prone to foaming up and if it gets higher than the dividers it will mix together
Keith