PDA

View Full Version : Group of trees

KenWP
03-02-2009, 01:51 PM
Okay I need to know if this makes sense or will work. I found a group of 7 or 8 decent size maples really close together. Can I tap them with drop lines and connect all the tees to one line somehow and run it into one large bucket and get away with it. I would guess I need to have some kind of grade to the lines so they drain properly. Also how much could I expect to get a day from 8 trees at maximium flow so I can choose a big enough container for them. I found trees on the weekend that are big enough around I can not reach that nobody has ever touch as far as I can see.

Stickey
03-02-2009, 02:15 PM
I put 9 taps in one consolidated area, each with its own line running directly into one of three seperate seven gal. buckets with lids, so three "taps" per 7 gal bucket. checked the buckets at 12 hr intervals during last run, which I gather was kinda weak, they were a little under half full = about 3 gal for 12ish hours. I'm like a kid on christmas morning checking those buckets right now, so they haven't overflowed on me yet. 4 trees in a cluster really close to two others and one biggun with three taps in her.

Clan Delaney
03-02-2009, 06:56 PM
8 trees close together - sounds like my yard. I use a 32 gal plastic trash can. It's never been overwhelmed in a single day. You should place the collection bin at the lowest point, and run line uphill from there. I did mine at a 3 degree angle and it all runs downhill just fine. I wouldn't do a slope less than that though. There's some pics here (http://picasaweb.google.com/pat.delaney/MapleSugarSeason2008) of the tubing, how I connected it to the barrel and the doohickey I made to measure the slope.