PDA

View Full Version : Natural Vacuum

softmaple
03-02-2009, 01:39 PM
i have 22 taps set up on a natural vacuum system, so this year i set up a vacuum gage to see if it pulls any. i went on friday and checked it out when the tempature was about 60 degrees and the sap flowing. it was pulling -7 on the gage. is that good? its around a 30 foot difference in elevation from start to finish. So what is the -7, is that in inches of Hg or pounds? i should have read the gage at the time i read it but didnt. i got the gage at bascoms.

Bucket Head
03-02-2009, 06:59 PM
Softmaple,

I too have a thirty foot drop on one of my lines. It has more taps than your line, but it get's seven inches of vacuum also.

When conditions are just right, that line does not stop running. I have to watch that collection barrel like a hawk. In the past, I often found it running over when the other barrels were far from full.

Up until then, I did'nt think much about natural vacuum. The over flowing barrels made a believer out of me.

Steve

softmaple
03-02-2009, 07:10 PM
i have a 100 gallon tank at the bottom and i need to get there to empty it every other day or it over flows. its great