PDA

View Full Version : Up and running!

PrimitiveOperation
03-02-2009, 11:52 AM
Hope everyone is well rested and ready to go.

We tapped last week and have gotten two decent runs. Finished 4.5 gallons yesterday and still have a decent amount of concentrate to start up with on the next boil.

Took a tally of total taps out and came up with 185. Could probably make it an even 200.

Good luck!

softmaple
03-02-2009, 01:26 PM
wow thats a lot of buckets for a 2x4. do you boil everyday? we have trouble when a big run comes, wer are out there a long time when a big run hits. how did you do this weekend? thursday - saturday we collected over 300 gallons on our measly 120 taps. we were burning the midnight oil saturday. we now have around 7 to 8 gallons to date.

MapLewis
03-02-2009, 03:34 PM
Our first boil (on 124 taps) kept us boiling for 13 hours Saturday...yielding us around 5 gallons of fancy. I couldnt imagine more than 124 taps after Thurs/Fri's run (we had 240 gallons of sap)... Finished everything on the turkey fryer Sunday... I like the fact that the weather has cooled down so we can "re-charge" our batteries before the next run. We made syrup!
Keep it up...can't wait to hear the stories...

PrimitiveOperation
03-03-2009, 06:11 PM
It can be tough to handle that much sap on a 2x4. Fortunatly my brother can boil most of the day during the week and then we go for broke on the weekends until we are caught up.

So far we've gotten a little over 250 gallons of sap, but the sugar content seems a bit lower than the early runs of last season.

Eventaully I would like to upgrade to a 2x6 to make things a little easier.