PDA

View Full Version : roof jack

ryan marquette
03-01-2009, 07:39 PM
I have a ribbed steel roof & I was wondering what everyone does to seal & install their roof jacks? I'm thinking jack on top of steel with foam for ridge caps & some tar?

markct
03-01-2009, 08:11 PM
my sugarhouse too has corugated aluminum roofing. my roofjacks now are thru the peak and are just pop riveted to the the roofing and to the ridgecap. no leaks as its a steep pitch so the openings undeneath have been no problem. when i had my little barrel evap the roofjack was off to one side and i just tucked the top edge up under the ridgecap and it worked well also. i couldnt bring myself to spend the money on roofjacks so i just tig welded my own stainless ones from stainless salvaged from some commercial freezer doors

ryan marquette
03-02-2009, 09:41 PM
I should have mentioned my roof is 4/12, side mount jack, down about 6' from the peak.

tuckermtn
03-02-2009, 11:14 PM
most corregated roofs come with some type of ridge cap...on ours we tucked the top of the roof jack (came with a big flange all around) under the ridge cap, and bent the little corregated taps over...then screwed it down with neoprene washer screws...

since your down off the ridge what about cutting a separate piece of corregated roofing material to go on top of the regualr roof- cut slightly more than the width of the flange on the jack, and running from under the ridge cap down to overlap the top of the jack flange...it almost midnightso not sure that makes sense?

3% Solution
03-03-2009, 06:17 AM
TuckerMtn,
I think you've got the idea.
When I install metal roofs and I have some sort of roof jack I always use an extra piece of metal.
One up from the bottom and one down from the top, cut out around the jackand let the top piece overlap the bottom by at least 12".
You do it like this and it will never leak.
Always remember how water flows when roofing or flashing a roof.
I don't use caulking or tar, only makes a mess, looks like crap, cracks later and if the roof is done right you don't need it!
Hope this helps.

Dave

ryan marquette
03-03-2009, 09:11 PM
Thanks for the replies guys. Tucker I like your idea about the extra sheet of steel down from the peak. Dave do you just tuck a piece of steel flashing up under the roof steel and over the top of the jack and extend beyond the bottom of the jack.

danno
03-03-2009, 11:19 PM
Ryan - my set up is almost identical to yours and I did just as Eric suggested for all 3 of my stacks and it's worked great. My only other usggestion - do not use tar for the smoke stack. I did the first time and pulled it all apart and scraped off the tar after the first season.

The heat generated from the smoke stack softens the tar and instead of that sweet smell of maple in your sugarhouse, you will have the smell of a highway paving crew. No leaks even without the tar.

3% Solution
03-04-2009, 07:08 AM
ryan marquette,
Here's the steps;
1). Run the bottom piece of metal up above where the top of the jack will be.
Cut the notch a couple inches wider than the stack coming up through.
2). Put the roof jack in place.
3). Run the top piece of metal down about where the the stack comes up through or a little lower if you want, it's up to you.
Cut the notch the same as the bottom piece.
4). Cap the ridge and your done.
Well that is when all the metal is on!!

Now, look at what you have, water runs down the top piece on to the roof jack, off that onto the bottom piece and onto the ground.
No leaks, no caulking or tar.
Just a nice clean looking job!!

Dave

ryan marquette
03-04-2009, 07:17 PM
thanks for the explanation dave.
sounds like a great way to do it.

inthewoods
01-11-2010, 07:39 PM
i have to install three roof jacks in my roof,can somebody please help me by explaining the proper steps/procedure for install on a shingle roof?

1) how big to cut hole in roof

2) how to slip under shingle

3) how to fasten jack to roof

any input will be appreciated.

thanks. jesse