PDA

View Full Version : Leaking Solder Joint

Amber Gold
03-01-2009, 02:41 PM
The solder around the drain fitting is leaking a bit. I don't want to drain the pan and have it repaired. Is there something I can use to seal it until the season's over and that will seal it when it's dripping/moist? It's currently frozen so it's not dripping now. Would something like JB Weld work? It's obviously been a problem before because someone tried resoldering it and did a pretty rough job.

Thanks

paul
03-01-2009, 03:04 PM
put a pail under it and keep boiling it will more than likely sugar over and stop leaking

Amber Gold
03-01-2009, 03:22 PM
It was leaking really bad at first (good steady drip). I put 250 gallons of sap through it and it's slowed down considerably. Hopefully it does sugar over.

maplwrks
03-01-2009, 04:49 PM
JB Weld will work, but you'll need to drain your pan to get the area dry enough for it to stick.Put it on the outside of the pan.

Amber Gold
03-01-2009, 05:10 PM
Mike, It's going to freeze up pretty good around here so I may be draining my flue pan anyways. How much will the pan expand/contract and will that effect the JB Weld?

davey
03-01-2009, 08:55 PM
I used JB Weld on my drain last year and it help up through may boils and freezes with no trouble.

Haynes Forest Products
03-01-2009, 10:31 PM
I would Burnish the area.....Take a smooth object like the side of a screw driver any kind of tool that you can rub the area. You dont want to scratch or chisel it you want to cause the solder to close the crack/leak area.
Now I only say this as a last resort you can take a small flat punch and very carefully tap the area around the leak. Do this when your cooking when the pans are warm and the crack is open. I dont mean to start wailing on it with a big hammer small taps.

maplekids
12-19-2010, 04:34 PM
we had that problem last year we let it sugar over until we could get it fixed. good luck.