PDA

View Full Version : float valve help

parsissn
03-01-2009, 08:52 AM
I added a float box and float to my 2x6 this year. It was given to me so I thought it would be nice to have. But I can't seem to get it to work. For pics of the float box, see this thread:

http://mapletrader.com/community/showthread.php?t=5508

The float is about 1/2 the size of the float box and floats just fine. However, it doesn't seem to have enough "float" to shut the valve off. If I pull up on the float arm the valve closes off tight. But if I set the float low enough to push the valve up / closed - then the float doesn't have enough space to allow the valve to open and the pan starves for sap. The bottom of the float chamber on the side of my pan is the same height as the main bottom of my drop flue pan. This means there is only 1-1/2" of sap to push up on the float.

Anyone have suggestions? I'd like to use the float setup but if it can't keep an even level then I'll have to go back to trickling sap in to keep my level.

Mark

3% Solution
03-01-2009, 09:30 AM
parsissn,
Just a dumb question, why are you trying to shut the sap flow off completely?
I've thought and done the same thing!!!!
Then I thought, you know this isn't made to be a shut-off, this is to hold a liquid level.
Basicly, what you have is a rough way to control a liquid not a shut-off, if you want to sut the flow off shut it off with a valve.
Another thing is (as mentioned in another post a couple weeks ago) the supply pipe might not be contacting the float arm gasket flat.
Just some thoughts.

Dave

WF MASON
03-01-2009, 10:49 AM
By the looks of the gasket packing in the flapper , I bet its rock hard ? A new piece of gasket will help some. As evaporation occurs , sap is suppose to trickle in or spray in. The valve isn't ment to hold back a thousand gallons over night.

maplehound
03-01-2009, 01:16 PM
I used a simular set up my first years. The other are right about the float gasket (rubber) make sure you get a new one, or make one from an inertube. Also these floats need more than just an inch of sap to float in so try running at closer to two inches just so it has more room to float. Also make sure it is dry inside, If you have a small hole or some condensation in the float it does get heavier and then needs more sap depth to float. I know I struggled with mine on many occasions and finnally got a local amish man tomake me a new one that worked much better.

maple flats
03-01-2009, 02:20 PM
Yes, that is a leader float box. I presume you have the foat in the pans and not the box you show. The way those work is they set on top of the flue pan with the float arm facing either outside flue pan channel. The float rides in the flue pan to control depth, when more sap is needed it is added to the box you show and the overflow spout opposite the float arm overflows into that far flue channel. If this is how you are usaing it the float you have must be the wrong size. It should fill the channel width wist for a loose enough fit that it can't bind but will stay upright. The float is often about twice as long as it is wide on a Leader, some brands may vary. Is the gasket soft? I used to have a 2x6 Leader with a float exactly like that. I no longer have any pics of it, but try looking up a member by the name of BANJO, i sold it to him. He may be able to give you some pictures.