PDA

View Full Version : ice in buckets

seclark
02-28-2009, 06:06 PM
being a newer back yarder I wanted some input about boiling the ice or just chuck it out.Trying to boil as little as possible,thanks guys. Stan

Mac
02-28-2009, 06:22 PM
seclark
My first year with an arch... 2years on propane... I am no expert..... Now let me tell ya what I did yesterday! Bought a sap hydrometer on my way home from work..... collected sap ice and and sap from two different buckets... @ 38 degrees the sap was 6% .. I melted the ice slowly using mircowave till it too was @ 38 degrees... 2%. Obvious that the 6% was concentrated due to the ice but the chunk's of ice when melted were @ 2%.
And that my friend is my 2% worth..
Mac

buxtonboiler
02-28-2009, 06:23 PM
Alot of articles and folks I have talked to just toss the ice. The theory is that the sugar will not freeze. I have actually read stories about native americans using this technique to refine the syrup. I personally toss it, not worth time and energy to thaw and boil.

SeanD
02-28-2009, 06:26 PM
If it's floating in your collection tank/barrel, chuck it before you boil because it's mostly frozen water leaving more of the sugar behind. Sometimes I'll leave it in there to keep the sap cool if there is warm weather ahead.

If the ice is in the bucket/bag on the tree and the whole thing has frozen solid, leave it alone. It probably got cold enough to freeze it sugar and all.

Sean

seclark
02-28-2009, 06:35 PM
Mac, thanks for the info,it's very interesting.any ice in the buckets from now on will be toss-a- vooded .

3% Solution
02-28-2009, 06:58 PM
seclark,
If it's real windy or going to be I will dump the sap out and leave the ice, makes a good weight to hold the buckets on the tree.
Just my couple of pennies.

Dave

Dennis H.
02-28-2009, 07:46 PM
It all depends on how many taps you got and weather you need something to boil.

Me, with 145 taps, if it just the top 1" I will toss it out. If the bucket is froozen solid I will keep it and set it aside to keep the sap cold in my storage tank and then toss whats left when I got to the bottom of the tank.

I did the sugar test also and I found that when it is just the top 1" or so when melted it was just water.

Now if you only have a few taps and need sap to boil I would use the ice and boil otherwise you would just be waiting for more sap till you can boil.

I also agree that if it is going to be windy let the ice in the bucket to help keep the bucket from taking flight, it won't help to keep the lid on but it will help keep the bucket for leaving.

JohnM
02-28-2009, 09:49 PM
Maybe another way to look at this subject.

I'm a late season syrup fan.

When the sugar content is the lowest, the flavor is the highest. If I just wanted the the sugar I would put light Karo on my pancakes.

As a backyarder I boil it all to syrup. I also use the ice as a bucket holder and a sap cooler.

Have a great and FUN! season.