PDA

View Full Version : 220 Maple Open for 2009

220 maple
02-28-2009, 12:26 PM
Finally had a chance to log in, trees are running but not as good as last year, we are short on ground moisture, had one small snow storm early Feb. can't buy a rain storm! Temps. have been near perfect. I believe with the cold weather my red maples may make it to the end of the season, this would be thrid time in 10 years if that were to happen. As of last night we should be setting about a half crop by my standards. Have not made a drop of dark yet and people are hollaring for it. It will come sometime I guess? As long as we keep getting into the single digits at night the chance for dark syrup is nil.

Mark 220 Maple

220 maple
03-11-2009, 07:08 AM
Even though I will not make as much syrup as last year, I've been way to busy to log in and keep the fellow traders informed on what was going on. since the season is all but over maybe I will catch up.

Mark 220 Maple

220 maple
03-15-2009, 09:34 PM
Moved remaining sap out of flue pan to a makeshift pan that sets over my front pan, and fired up for the final time of 2009? I have only pulled my red maples, I could make them go again if we would have some syrup weather but it appears that it's not going to happen. A friend who makes syrup near me freshen his holes Friday and got 1000 gallon of water in the past couple days in fact he said they were still running. I probably should of done the same with the high price numbers being thrown around for wholesale syrup. I been offered 3.50 a pound for dark amber and b grade syrup, however another syrupmaker told me that he was offered 3.90 to 4.10 a pound, but he said that the buyer who made that offer told him that very soon they will know how much is going to be available and he won't be shocked if it goes to 5.00 a pound. That number may very well intice me to fix my trees for another run.

Mark 220 Maple

220 maple
03-23-2009, 08:42 PM
Perfect Syrup Weather
Low 20's at night mid 50's in the daytime, 4 days in a row, lots of sap all buddy; that ok I need a barrel of commercial so I can by supplies for expansion, three neighbors have offer their trees for next season, Remember their is only Two Seasons, Syrup Season and getting ready for Syrup Season.

Mark 220 Maple

220 maple
03-25-2009, 08:06 AM
Monday night temp dropped to 15 degrees, how sad, I'm trying to make commercial syrup and it drops below 17 and kills the buds. Hopefully it won't mess up are plan for a barrel of commercial. Lol. My helper did not get much water from my Grant County Bush Monday but after that 15 degree night they kicked it up a notch, they wanted back in the game. Them trees are team players an are always willing to help.

Mark 220 Maple

220 maple
03-30-2009, 11:07 AM
Over 2000 gallons of buddy sap, off the last freeze, weather forecast for tonight, mid 20's, we will see what happens they finally have moisture to work with. I have never boiled on the evaporator in April, have always wanted to, in 2000 we boiled on March 31. The last 50 plus gallons of syrup is Grade C, the packers want it so I feel it is my duty to make as much as possible. I never take payment in cash for it I basically barter for more supplies. As long as somebody need 2 percent real maple in their table syrup jug I will be their friend. If people who purchase that stuff knew how bad the 2 percent real maple is they would never buy another drop. Maybe my commercial syrup goes to the broker who has figured out how to remove the bad taste, I was told once how it was done, why didn't I think of that????
Don't ask I was sworn to secrecy.

MArk 220 Maple

220 maple
04-03-2009, 04:36 PM
Amazing, dropped to 26 degrees then warmed up to near 50. they didn't run enough to boil again, so the season ends again and I don't get to boil on the evaporator in April, I guess when global freezing occurs I will get to boil in April. Lol. The last sap I took to be buddy however I got brave enough to stick my finger in on of the milk cans that came off the evaporator and it did not have a bitter taste???? We have 60 gallons of it I will sell it for commercial nonetheless. Need the supplies for next years expansion.

Mark 220 Maple

220 maple
04-15-2009, 09:16 PM
Delivered my commercial syrup on Tuesdays the 14th to my Amish syrup buyer, Henry. I ended up the season with 55 gallons of the nasty stuff. Got 2.50 a pound for it. After Henry cut my helper his thrid, I had a touch over 1000 dollars to spend for next year. Ended up getting 750 dollars worth of goodies. (Tubing,spiles,tees,glass,jugs,ect.....) I sure Henry will get the other 250 dollars and more before next season.

Mark 220 Maple

220 maple
04-26-2009, 04:19 PM
Took two days off my real job to set up at the annual Spring Mountain Festival in my home town of Petersburg WV, Syrup was selling real good and had several repeat customers from last year when I set up at that Festival.
Had a friendly competition with a vender lady beside me who was selling Home Interior products. I won Friday by about 100 dollars, she came back strong on Saturday and won by 100 dollars, but by 11:00 am on Sunday she threw up the white flag and surrendered. My syrup in glass started selling Sunday, also sold several jugs by the gallon. The icing on the cake was mother in law going to church and promoting the maple coated almonds and pecans, she coats them and she does a unbelievable job selling then, I think I will keep the wife because my Mother in Law is to valuable to my syrup sales.LoL......

Mark 220 Maple