PDA

View Full Version : my first boil of the season

03weim
02-27-2009, 06:16 PM
I'm in the middle of my first boil right now we got about 25 gallons of sap out of 15 taps today so I am giving my new evap a work out, I wish I had my new pan but im still waiting for Patrick Phanuf, I have my old pans rigged up, My smoke stack blew off in a large wind gust I have make a better one so much for using a duct from home depot

Sorry for the long post

KenWP
02-27-2009, 06:20 PM
Wind blew here strong enough I wondered if the trees would stay in the ground.

Mackdaddy
02-27-2009, 06:50 PM
I'm curious to see just how long you have been waiting for your Phanuef pan. My season is half over and still haven't seen it. Was told I would have mine by at least the first full week of my season. Still don't know when to expect it.

03weim
02-27-2009, 07:37 PM
I was promised he would ship it out the week of jan 12th, I have spoke with him and I keep e-mailing him he is supposed to be coming down this way and will meet me to drop off the pan

Revi
02-27-2009, 09:04 PM
I have been up to Patrick's workshop, and it was just him working on our evaporator. I think he's expanded some since then, but who knows?

He dropped ours off on the way to Old Orchard Beach in the summer.

03weim
02-28-2009, 07:22 AM
I heard he was a one man show, plus there is a lot more profit in an evap. than a pan so I think that those would take proirty over a pan

03weim
02-28-2009, 10:21 PM
just finished boiling my first gallon of syrup and it has a nice amber color, I am very pleased last year we only made 3 gallons of syrup and most of it looked like used motor oil but it tasted great!!!

03weim
03-11-2009, 06:52 AM
so far I have made 2 gallons of syrup, but my new Phaneuf pan came last night and I can wait to try it out I have 40 gallons of sap waiting but by the looks of this pan I am going to need a lot more than that I cant wait for thursday afternoon to test it out hopefully by then I will have anouther 20 gallons of sap my biggest boil ever

Mackdaddy
03-12-2009, 08:38 PM
Wow, that is great that you finally recieved your new pan. What size was it again? Can't believe that I still haven't seen mine. I have about one week left and then my season ends.

03weim
03-13-2009, 07:19 AM
Its a 2x3 pan, sorry to hear you haven't got your pan Mackdaddy The pan is very nice excellent quality but it is taking some time to get use to it I can't believe how fast it boils off the water I have to get more pratice to get the sap closer to syrup on it, I boiled 66 gallons of sap down to about 4.5 gallons in about 7.5 hours, I was too scared to go any lower in the pan for fear of scorching it

mapleman3
03-13-2009, 08:26 AM
03, Congrats on the new pan... so it sounds as you will be finishing in something else? you should be able to get it close but with a batch of syrup you do have to be careful.
is it sectioned? do you have a built in thermometer at the drawoff? you could just dribble sap in at one side and draw off regularly.

BarrelBoiler
03-13-2009, 10:17 AM
03weim, did you buy your pan off ebay? buy it now from patrick? if so then i have hope mines coming. i didn't have time this year but have BIG plans for next. keep that boil going

03weim
03-13-2009, 11:31 AM
I did get from buy it now on ebay it is the pan with two dividers in it. I wasn't able to get any syrup in the pan but I left the valve on the pre heater cracked so it was dripping into the pan the whole time I was boiling the pan has a port for the themometer I will get one for next year. I finish on my stove inside, I just bottled up 1.5 gallons