PDA

View Full Version : Pick-up truck tank question

Bucket Head
02-27-2009, 04:55 PM
I saw a local add for a "325gal. pick up truck mounted fiberglass water tank. Used to haul water during a drought".

I did'nt know there were fiberglass ones. I thought all tanks were a type of plastic. Are fiberglass tanks safe to use for sap? Safe for drinkable water?

The add did not say what the hauled water was used for, so I'm wondering about this.

Thank's'
Steve

Bucket Head
02-27-2009, 09:48 PM
Anyone have any thought's on these tank's?

I take it everyone has a plastic, or stainless tank of some type on their truck?

Steve

tuckermtn
02-28-2009, 12:02 AM
seems odd, since the size/description matches the poly ones that folks typically use. Did you contact them to see if it is indeed fiberglass? My guess is its poly...

if its poly make sure you give it a good sniff as if it had any manky stuff in it hard to get the smell out..

maple flats
02-28-2009, 06:40 AM
I used to have a fiber glass tank on an old sprayer. You would want to know possitively that this was not an old sprayer tank. Two actually, both Century a 300 and a 200 gal sprayer but I have seen others at auction. I still have one but for watering but it will never see sap. After likely 50+ fillings over the years with fresh water to water my garden since last used for a herbicide I can still detect a slight chemical smell. There might be some out there for other uses but be very careful.

mapleman3
02-28-2009, 06:43 AM
check it out or have them send you a pic, it's probably a poly cage tamk... then yes smell it! if it was used for anything but water the smell doesn't go away easy...

Thompson's Tree Farm
02-28-2009, 07:17 AM
Maple Flats is correct. In the 50's and 60's It was common for chemical spray tanks to be made of fiberglass. They are now made mostly of poly. I don't know of any tanks that are now made of fiberglass.

fred
02-28-2009, 07:19 AM
could very well be fiberglass ,even if it was only for water they are a brittle tank especially when they get old

Bucket Head
02-28-2009, 04:33 PM
I think I'm going to pass on it. I was leery of the fiberglass from the start.

If I need a tank larger than what I have, I'll go with the polyethene tanks that are availiable from the farm stores.

Thank's.

Steve

Fred Henderson
02-28-2009, 06:43 PM
325 gallons is a lot of weight on a pickup.

seclark
02-28-2009, 06:45 PM
Steve,thats the best way to go,at least you will know there was no bad chemicals in it.

Sugarmaker
02-28-2009, 08:13 PM
Steve I really like the 325 leg tank. Only draw back is that it needs a low drain to really get the tank totally drained.

That Big Ford should handle the 325 gallons OK:)

Chris

KenWP
02-28-2009, 08:17 PM
All my water reservoir tanks on the hog farms are fiberglass and one is 5000 gallons and the other 10000 gallons and they also supply the houses and have to be tested yearly to keep my license to ship pigs to market so fiberglass is good for water.

Bucket Head
03-01-2009, 12:03 AM
If I was certain the tank only had water in it, I might have bought it. However, you just can't chance it. The add said he hauled water, but what if he let someone borrow it? What did they haul in it?

The cage tank I have now was used by a producer who got out of sugaring, so I knew it was ok.

Chris- I was'nt worried about the truck not being able to handle it. I'm certain it could. The 275gal. tank does'nt bother it at all.

I would'nt mind getting some more cage tanks, but their hard to find. And again, you can't be certain they only had food type products in them.

Steve

maple maniac65
03-01-2009, 06:33 PM
I was informed from a guy who sold cage tanks that if they had a black cap on them they originally held food grade products and if they had a red cap it was some sort of chemical. Maple Grove in St Johnsbury VT has these cage takns from Bolgaria. They original held vinager which washes out real easy.