PDA

View Full Version : plugging spout holes

Small time
04-09-2003, 10:18 PM
I am new at this, first year actually. I read somewhere and I can't remember where that it is a good idea to cork the tap holes after pulling them out. Is this true?

pegjam
04-09-2003, 10:49 PM
Smalltime:

I have thought about it, but I have found that anything left in a taphole will slow down the healing in that hole. It generally takes 2 years for a hole to completely heal, but it depends alot on the health of the tree, hole depth, and size of tap used. The larger the tap, the longer it takes. I have had some really good trees that could almost, (really close, but not quite) seal a 7/16 hole in one year. I have also had some trees that couldn't seal a 19/64 inch hole in one year. The best way for you to answer your question is to try it, and let the rest of us know how it went. I wouldn't use cork though, try something like a paste that can be squeezed out as the hole heals. Nothing that would attracte insects though. Goodluck :lol: :lol:

pegjam

forester1
04-10-2003, 06:38 PM
I wouldn't bother. There has been research done in this and it doesn't speed up healing. Also any tree paint for wounds doesn't work either. You could even make the wound worse by splitting or breaking the cambium (The living green part of the bole between the dead outer bark and the dead inner wood). Also there is potential to seal in moisture along with decay fungal spores providing a better opportunity for fungal growth.
Trees have evolved for eons a way to deal with wounds and it is best to let them heal a taphole wound on their own. If you want to do something for your trees you should keep them in a healthy, vigorous condition. To do that you should thin periodically. If the crowns are touching it is probably time to thin. Crowded trees spend a lot of energy in competition for sun and nutrients and have lower energy available to fend off disease. Additionally, trees released from competition grow faster and tapholes heal faster. Large crowns yield more and sweeter sap, all else being equal. As part of your selection process when thinning remove trees with fungus and cankers as these put out large quantities of spores which will infect tree wounds if conditions are right.

mapleman3
04-10-2003, 07:57 PM
unfortunately thinning is tough for some of us who depend on roadside trees that belong to other people... I can see it now... um mr. smith ... you need to trim your tree so I can get more sap please. :lol:

:wink:
Jim