PDA

View Full Version : NEW GRADING SYSTEM

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
11-13-2004, 07:22 PM
Has anyone had a chance to read the information in the Maple News concerning the new grading system the IMSI is considering. I do think a more stanardized grading system is better for the consumer. I did think it was amusing the part about Europeans being confused. I don't mean any offense, but VT syrup is no better than any other American or Canadian syrup and I don't like VT having their own "Grading" scale. In my opinion, it puts some other New England producers at a dis-advantage since they can't run with the VT name.

I think that if changing the grading scale will increase sales, go for it. It doesn't matter to small producers like us, but it may help increase the Canadian market overseas. This is what Canada needs to do, look for ways to increase its market to Europe and other overseas markets instead of worrying about the Federation and surplus. I am convinced that if the market is developed correctly that we(US & Can) can never overflow the market.

Maple syrup is maple syrup. Each producer has his name and address on the container. That is enough. We need one grading scale and let that differeniate between grades of syrup, not let it be dicated by a state or country.

powerdub
11-13-2004, 07:44 PM
I would love to see a standardized grading system. I just don't want to have to buy an official, licensed, calibrated, IMSI grading kit for $300.00 bucks and then have to have it recalibrated every year for a $100.00 bucks plus shipping. Then I would be against it.

Maple Hill Sugarhouse
11-13-2004, 09:07 PM
Brandon-Have you said before that you donot grade your syrup???Scott-I Never heard of the IMSI grading kit? fill me in..Is it the same as my Lovibond 2000 ??...Kevin

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
11-13-2004, 09:35 PM
Kevin,

I did buy a grading kit this year and will start putting grade stickers on next year. I have had one in the past and am very familiar with color of syrup. The IMSI grading is a new grading they are discussing implementing. I think the maple industry needs one grading system as a whole and the current 3 grading systems are too complicated for the consumer as some Europeans complain.

Personally, I like the KISS(keep it simple stupid) grading system:

Light Amber
Medium Amber
Dark Amber
Grade B
Commercial

I don't have a problem with even a Fancy grade, but enough is enough. I really don't like the idea of VT having their own grading system. I think VT is the backbone of the US industry, but their syrup is not any better than the rest of the US industry even though there are many who would like the consumer to think so. We need to band the entire maple industry together and become one. We here in the US are never going to be run out by Canadian syrup, so no need to worry about that! :D :D :D

Maple Hill Sugarhouse
11-13-2004, 09:50 PM
To me though if i was a new maple consumer like they say in the maple news that i would be lost on what i was looking for in a "Flavor" of maple syrup? So this new wording for a grade is trying to teach the new consumers of what they might expect from the container-However once they know what amber syrup they like then they will know what to look for next time around.It probably should be a universal color system-That way there all talking pretty much the same flavored product...Kevin

powerdub
11-13-2004, 10:01 PM
Kevin, I have no idea what an IMSI maple grading kit is either. I am sorry if I missled on that post, I was just saying if they standardize the grades then they will probably make everyone buy a standardized kit and when that happens the price of said kit will reflect the fact that it is recognized my IMSI as thier official kit. Sorry for the mix up.

Al
11-14-2004, 08:38 AM
I think Vermont sells more syrup because of the grading system we have and thru the hard work of our promotional board. So why should we change to please others. Big producers are in it to make money. Getting people to change to another grading system is just another way to get money out of people in an industury that is doing fine on it's own and to get more goverment in your sugar house. I understand about the other grading systems and I understand trying to expand the market but we have people here who ship a whole lot of syrup to England with no problems. If they change the grading system and put alot of requirements on your syrup who's going to foot the bill. How will a little guy survive? If it ain't broke don't fix it.
If Canada is having a problem maybe they better module after the U.S. system. My own 2 cents and only my 2 cents. You all have a great day. :D

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
11-14-2004, 03:55 PM
I do agree with the IMSI that they need to explain the flavor of each grade. I think this would be better suited to maple retailers to have a chart in each display. If they are going to take it this far, consumers need to know the details of each and every color and flavor, not just a paticular grade that is on the store shelf. This will help spark interest to try a different flavor for comparison the next time to compare it to the last flavor purchased.

Personally, I like it all and it all tastes good. I think we need to adapt an industry grading system that is stanardized for the entire industry and not three or four differenty systems, but not that what I think matters as I know my opinion isn't even worth 2 cents. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Maple Hill Sugarhouse
11-14-2004, 04:51 PM
Education and syrup samples or posters of different grades at a trade show should work explaining what to expect...Kevin

Al
11-14-2004, 05:43 PM
VMSMA puts out great educational charts for free. I have two explaining maple in laymens terms. People who read them are amazed by what it takes and how long people have been sugaring. I would like to see a chart put out based on color etc. When people visit the sugar house I always show them the grading kit and how we do it that way. I'd love to be able to have samples of fancy and med amber for people to do a taste test by to see the differance in taste but on my rig I'll not make a fancy.
Have a great day.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
11-14-2004, 07:57 PM
Al,

I disagree with that as you could easily make fancy the first run of the season even on your rig. I made some a couple of years ago and some of it got cooked three times and slowly too and it was clearer than fancy.

Blew my mind. 8O 8O

brookledge
11-14-2004, 09:20 PM
The hard part will be grading based on taste. I have made light color syrup with a strong flavor. If you grade it on color it would have been medium amber, but close your eyes and taste it you would say grade B. Years ago before RO's and UV systems everybody basicly had the same sugar content and that sap needed to boil the same amount of time. Now with RO's and UV's sap that normally would have been dark and taste like dark can be made into a lighter syrup but still taste like dark.
I know that I use grading chart as a guide but will drop the grade if it does not taste like it should.
Keith

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
11-15-2004, 06:55 PM
Well, that is a good point for sure. I don't have all that high tech equipment, so my syrup taste has always been consistent with color. No two grades of any syrup from different batches taste 100% the same, but close to it.

This is another issue you bring up because taste is now being put into dishonest human hands. Anyone can say syrup tastes a certain way to them when it might taste different to someone else. I think it needs to stay with color and nothing else because color is set in stone. It would be hard to fine someone for marketing a medium tasting syrup when it tastes dark to the inspector.

It ain't broke, don't fix it, just make 1 grading scale. If it stays with 3, that is fine with me. Down here no one knows the difference, so I really could careless. I am just interested in the maple industry as a whole and want to see the best for it as it all trickles down to all of us. :)

Maple Hill Sugarhouse
11-15-2004, 07:10 PM
This brings something to mind-Vermont always tooted that they had the toughest maple laws in the country? Well this was a debate going on between a N.H. Dept. of Agriculture supervisor and VT. N.H. has the exact laws as VT and Even 1 up on them and they didn't know it??Maybe they did and just didn't want to fess up or think it was right??? Well it goes like this=Its on the color-In N.H if you have a grade label on the container stating that it is dark amber it can be no lighter in color then the sample color for dark amber and no darker then the sample color---Now in VT you could label the jug Dark Amber and have "Fancy"/Light Amber in the container-Well to a consumer this is "You call it???Deception??" You were purchasing the container on the theory that there was dark amber syrup in there and got light which is not what you wanted/Pi$$ed of Customer??? I don't know but sounds deceiving to me?...Kevin