PDA

View Full Version : Please Be careful

mapleman3
02-26-2009, 09:59 PM
I just want to say to all of you out there, Please be careful in the woods, when your out there after the season doing firewood again! we had a Friend lose his life in a chainsaw accident yesterday, he has been a tree man, has his own wood mill, also makes baseball bats. knows the chainsaw like no other! he lost his life while in a tree, strapped in when while limbing, the saw kicked back and severed his neck. and he died in the tree. an awful tragedy!.

As safe and comfortable as we feel from experience in using the saws.. they can still catch us off gaurd!

Please stay safe out there guys!

here is the story on masslive.com

http://www.masslive.com/news/index.ssf/2009/02/belchertown_man_killed_cutting.html?category=Belch ertown+category=Deaths+category=South%20Hadley

Clan Delaney
02-26-2009, 10:10 PM
I just don't have the words.

That's a terrible tragedy.

mapleman3
02-26-2009, 10:13 PM
half my sugarhouse, my barn flooring and all the wood on my chicken coop is from Marc, Also my daughter is good friends with his daughter Sam, it's an awful thing! they have a large close family, they have a lot of support, I'm just waiting to see when the wake is.

twobears1224
02-26-2009, 10:27 PM
MAPLEMAN:i,am so sorry to hear about your friend. i,ve ran a saw for 28 years and 4 years ago i almost had a accident like that..but,i got lucky and only sawed my arm.the saw kicked back and headed for my neck and/or shoulder.the chainbrake failed to fire and i knew i was in trouble.i had just enough time to tuck my arm between the chain and my neck/shoulder.i got cut from my wrist to the inside of my elbow.

delbert

cheesegenie
02-27-2009, 06:04 AM
Yes a chainsaw is likely the most dangerous tool there is, and a tree the most
unpredictable thing to work on. That is a tragedy and sorry to hear that Jim.
I cut wood on spare time for 30 years or more, I have kept 2 woodstoves going and sell a bit too. I thought I knew everything about cutting. A couple
years ago I took the chainsaw safety certification course, which is required
by law if you work on government land, thought it would be handy to have.
Found out I didn't know too much at all, and that course showed me a lot.
Accidents still and will happen, but the more you know, the more safe you
will be. I would suggest the course to everybody. Think about it, think about
it while at the dinner table and look around at your family.

mapleman3
02-27-2009, 06:57 AM
It's scary stuff!
Two bears thats too close a call for you !! glad it wasn't worse!

Safety courses are a good thing just to refresh and get your awareness up! sometimes we get too comfortable with something we do a lot!

Maple Restoration
02-27-2009, 07:04 AM
Jim we sorry to hear about your friend, back 10 years ago one of my cousins a logger by trade was out working and had a limb bind and snap the chain in cot part of of his face, he got lucky it only took 1 and a 1/2 to get back to work.
It's not a tool to be taken lightly.

3% Solution
02-27-2009, 07:08 AM
Jim,
Sorry to hear about your friend.
Our prayers go out to the family and friends.
A real good friend of mine was a Forest Ranger and always wanted me to take a certified saw class, but I always told him "You don't want me running a saw on a fire."
Now he's retired and owns a saw shop about 10 minutes from here.
I cut sugaring wood (slabs) and that's about all I want to do with a saw.

Dave

twobears1224
02-27-2009, 11:42 AM
MAPLEMAN:Thanks..i,ve told several people how lucky i feel today..then,i tell them the story of your friend.

delbert

hholt
02-27-2009, 02:52 PM
That is an awful tragedy, prayers sent.

maple flats
02-27-2009, 05:58 PM
Sorry to hear about your friend.
I have been real lucky for over 40 years of cutting trees, logs and trimming with a chainsaw. Two years ago i took the Game Of logging training and learned way more than i knew. Every time I use the saw I am ever aware of hazzards, always have been. I hope My good luck holds the rest of my natural life.
I however do not do any work in the trees, I keep my feet firmly on the ground, which is slightly less dangerous.

jason grossman
02-27-2009, 06:29 PM
jim, our prayers are also with your friends family. i was in the logging buisness for quite a while and have seen my share of accidents. luckily none life theatining. one of my friends in southern ohio had a friend killed just a month ago. i knew of him but not personally, but my heart goes out to loved ones and friends every time i hear a story like that. I was certified master logger for years and have had many professional levels of the game of logging, however sometimes it only takes 1/2 a second!!! i also trimmed trees on power lines for a while double whammy!! and in a tree is twice as dangerous. should be a lesson to all get some training, were all your safety gear, and pay attention! although we think we know it all we really don't.

mapleman3
03-01-2009, 08:46 PM
Just got back from the wake for Marc Sugrue, it was amazing.. over 2000 people went through during a 5 hour time. they had trees(saplings) and stuff inside , tons of pictures and videos, one video was of him doing his tree work just this past June. from what everyone was saying, that was the way he wanted to go.. doing what he loved with a chainsaw.. just I'm sure not this soon though!! it was tough though, in line for 2 hours to go in, but worth the wait. guess he was well liked by many!

hopefully they will continue his woodmill and wood work, His wife is a major part of the operation, and with many of the family helping out it sounds like they want to in his honor...

Thanks everyone for your prayers to his family I'm sure they will help...