PDA

View Full Version : How do you drill into the tree

Haynes Forest Products
02-26-2009, 08:12 AM
Reading all the threads Im wondering how others drill thair holes. I use a Bit thats for taping trees is short and Titanium coated. I angle upward a few degrees and go into the tree about 1 1/2" depending on the tree size.

NOW for the Question that has me wondering does Reaming the drill bit back and forth to clean out the hole of chips HELP OR HURT the tap hole. I think reaming causes the drill to smear the wood closing the capillaries. I like to drill in and then with the bit turning slowly pull the bit out and leave it alone. It does make pulling the bit out harder and taping more work. What Say you ?

Thompson's Tree Farm
02-26-2009, 08:35 AM
I do much as you. Don't like to ream. It also can make the hole out of round and presto...another potential vacuum leak.

gator330
02-26-2009, 08:35 AM
I set a hole about 2" with a some angle up. I did notice the ones that got a little extra reaming are leaking around the tap. Kinda wish it was in the tube. Not a lot of them, but hate to see it go down the side of the tree. Is there any thing one can do about this or just let it go. Maybe pull the tape and reset it???? I think that one sharp clean hole is the best don't ream any and try not to open up the face of the tap hole is the best. That may be were the weeping is from. The leading edge of the hole shows some sap wood. (Just my thoughts, some of you guys have drilled more holes in a day then I have in my whole life)

Russell Lampron
02-26-2009, 11:40 AM
Pull trigger on drill to full throttle. Drill into tree 1.5" to 2". Pull drill back out and release trigger. Do it all in one quick motion and the hole will be clean and round.

mapleman3
02-26-2009, 12:10 PM
new sharp bit.. batteries FULL and go for it.. in and out thats it!

Russell Lampron
02-26-2009, 06:21 PM
Forgot to mention that you want to use a bit made for tapping trees. They are much sharper than hardware store bits and well worth the $$$.

tessiersfarm
02-26-2009, 06:55 PM
I do the same as Russ under full power in and out except I use a ship augers bit because I like how they drill. I use a piece of 1/2" mainline over the bit and against the drill chuck to stop at the right depth change every 100 holes or so. I have never used a real tapping bit but I may try one this year. I know how to sharpen a ship augers bit although the 5/16 is a challenge with my eyesight.

KenWP
02-26-2009, 07:12 PM
What is a ships auger bit. I found in my dads old stuff a 7/16 bit for a brace and found a good brace at a garage sale this summer but I find it doesn't cut as nice a hole as the brad point bit I found at another garage sale that strangely had a strip of white paint on it 2 inches from the end. Since I don't have many trees to tap most anything will do as long as it cuts a good hole.

ennismaple
02-26-2009, 09:07 PM
Put the bit against the tree, pull the trigger to full speed and in a second start pulling out while on full speed. We use only new, sharp tapping bits but each one will do 2000 taps in 2 days!!!

michiganfarmer
02-27-2009, 02:57 PM
What is a ships auger bit. I found in my dads old stuff a 7/16 bit for a brace and found a good brace at a garage sale this summer but I find it doesn't cut as nice a hole as the brad point bit I found at another garage sale that strangely had a strip of white paint on it 2 inches from the end. Since I don't have many trees to tap most anything will do as long as it cuts a good hole.

this is a ship augar

http://www.lenoxtools.com/enUS/Product/SHIP_AUGER_BITS.html

maple flats
02-27-2009, 05:49 PM
I use the expensive bits, 5/16, drill full speed, slight angle up into tree, go about 1.5" deep, and pull bit out in one motion being careful not to ream hole out of round. Make sure no chips, clean with a twig if needed and insert tap. Very few need twig and twigs are just used once and tossed.

RUSTYBUCKET
02-27-2009, 07:53 PM
We're using a 7/16" brace and bit. Same as the others, slight angle upward boring a couple of inches. A bit off subject but does anyone know if there are any manufacturers making galvanized spiles anymore?

Russ

KenWP
02-27-2009, 10:53 PM
D&G had a big box of them in there show room.

RUSTYBUCKET
03-01-2009, 12:51 PM
Thanks Ken.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
03-01-2009, 04:39 PM
I am in agreement with Russ and Ennis. I bought one of the $ 20 Canadian tapping bits Bascoms sells and they are well worth the money. I have bought other tapping bits in the past and they could have kept them. I have used the same bit for 3 seasons now and 1500+ taps and it is like new. Maybe a cheaper source out there, but I don't regret spending the $ 20, it is about the best $ 20 I ever spent in regards to maple. I liked it so much, I bought a second one. I run the drill on high and it takes about 2 seconds to tap a tree. I aim for 1.5 inches after going thru the bark. High speed in and then out without ever letting up in the trigger until the bit is out. I get around 200 taps on one 19.2 volt battery.