PDA

View Full Version : New to sugaring just got a evaporator

captaincpfd
02-25-2009, 04:42 PM
Does anyone have a cheap inexpensive way to filter syrup after its done boiling? I would be greatful of the help. I've thought about it and dont have any ideas seem how i new to the whole sugaring thing this year. thank you chad

KenWP
02-25-2009, 05:04 PM
Cheapest way is to have the syrup sit for a while to settle the solids and then pour off the top or so they say. I found a old book in the library here that actually says to leave the niter as it gives character and flavor to the syrup.

Haynes Forest Products
02-25-2009, 06:13 PM
Brand new pair of unwashed TIGHTY WHITES. But seriously I used a terry cloth towel that was brand new and hand washed in hot water. It worked good enough to get most of the big chunks out and I was only feeding the syrup to the family so who cares.

Gary R
02-25-2009, 06:52 PM
Those sound the cheapest. If you can spend about $25, you can get the cone style maple syrup filters that many small producers use. 1 wool or synthetic and 3 or 4 paper pre filters will last you for years. You will need some way to hold any filter. Don't want to get burnt.

Groves
02-28-2009, 10:29 PM
best source for this $25 setup? The usual suspects? or are they common to some non-maple industry?

gator330
03-01-2009, 12:33 AM
I tryed everything in the past. Never had good clean syrup till this year, with out a lot of wast. The cone filter and some pre filters hung from a tomato cage. Large end down over a pan. Hang filter from the four wires that would go in the ground. Can even cut it down some. Mine fits just under the draw off. Filter it off the evaporator then again after I finish it on the stove. Clean clear syrup no waste!!!!!

ericjeeper
03-01-2009, 07:04 AM
I use automotive paint filters. You know the paper cone shaped. They will not remove the nitres.But it will get the biggest chunks out. I usually settle out the nitres than re jar.
I pick up the filters at the local auto parts store. as they sell paint to order.

Clan Delaney
03-01-2009, 08:40 AM
I've used new, clean t-shirt fabric. Worked fine for me.