PDA

View Full Version : small hydrometer recommendation?

Groves
02-25-2009, 03:20 PM
I don't make a lot of syrup, less than 5 gallons a year in many batches.

I've always just used a thermometer to get to syrup. Any recommendations on an inexpensive hydrometer that doesn't use too much syrup?

ejmaple
02-25-2009, 03:50 PM
check out www.mapleguys.com thats where i got my first small hydro cup

Brent
02-25-2009, 04:16 PM
don't go cheap with the tiny one. the full sized units are much much easier to read and therefore more accurate.

While you're at it, the MapleGuys make a cup called an Acu-Cup. Since you've got to know the temp of the syrup when you are reading the hydrometer, this little cup with the built in thermometer is the cat's a*&^.

read the temp, read the hydrometer, look at the correction chart and you've got it nailed.

http://www.mapleguys.com/index.php?category=6&PHPSESSID=c3fef867fe3a1d02f4214b7a07c665ec

Cup, thermometer and hydrometer $ 118. total. It's worth it

PS if you're human, you'll be lucky to make it through a season with one hydrometer. They are fragile

KenWP
02-25-2009, 04:50 PM
I bought a sap hydrometer so I can at least see if these trees of mine are worth tapping. I plan on trying a thermometer to get to syrup this year. I have sceinitific thermometers floating around that are pretty acurate and my wife gave we a dial one she just happend to have hidden away in the drawer where I loose skin every time I put my hand into drawer.

Groves
02-25-2009, 04:55 PM
Is there a reason that this is super preferable to just using a thermometer?

KenWP
02-25-2009, 05:01 PM
Well for me to buy a hydrometer I have to get it shipped from Ontario as the ones here only have French directions. Just ticks me off I have really think to read them.

Haynes Forest Products
02-25-2009, 05:35 PM
Dont they have the same red line that all the ones we get. Or is the red line in FRENCH..................HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

I think the maple guys will sell you one.......if you pay them

3% Solution
02-25-2009, 06:16 PM
Groves,
Let me try this;
When we're making syrup, we're looking for density.
If it's too thin it will spoil, if it's to thick it will crystalize.
We don't mind crystals, but we don't want it to spoil.
So, the reason we don't use a thermometer is that we can't trust the 7.38 degrees above the boiling point of water.
The boiling point changes, sometimes many times during the day.
We can trust the hydrometer, it measures density all the time.
Use a hydrometer, you'll have more hair left!!!!
Hope this helps.

Dave

Groves
02-25-2009, 06:27 PM
totally helps, Dave.

I can see how continuous pan producers are drawing off frequently and frequently need to check the density.

it seems so much easier to a bottomfeeder like me to keep a pan of water on my arch so I can have access to the latest barometric adjusted water boiling point.

Who am I kidding. I'll end up with a slew of hydrometers eventually. Thanks for the tips.

maple sapper
02-25-2009, 10:23 PM
I bought a refractometer from misco for small batches of syrup. The only thing is I find it more accurate when your not boiling. So what I do is boil it till I see the bubbles change and temp is right. Then I let it cool with a cover on it. Then measure when its cool. The unit has a built in temp adjustment. It still is not as accurate as when its cool. So if its over syrup, I add distilled water in very small amounts till it reads 66.9. If its under I heat it up some more with out a cover and try again. Keep in mind im doing this in my kitchen. Anyone else have the misco emaple?