PDA

View Full Version : I need a new cordless drill

powerdub
02-24-2009, 06:51 PM
I would like to re-visit this topic a little since the advent of the lithium-ion battery and ask, does any one have any recommendations? I was looking at Milwuakee just because I have had great luck with thier cordless and regular tools. What do you all think?

ennismaple
02-24-2009, 08:13 PM
Last year I tapped with 18v DeWalt, Milwaukee and Rigid drills. I'm no tool expert but what I do know is I'd get no more than 150 taps per battery with the Milwaukee and Rigid drills and over 210 taps with the DeWalt.

Sugarmaker
02-24-2009, 08:22 PM
Using a Dewalt this year and it did a good job. Not sure of the tap count per battery. I would guess around 100 + per battery.
Chris

MapleME
02-24-2009, 08:39 PM
Three years ago I was on This Old House (yes, highlight of my decade).
Tom Silva showed up with this: By far the nicest cordless drill I have seen.
The funny thing is that he said he can get Rigid tools for free- as many as he wants but he bought this with his own cash and uses it on the show for everything.

http://www.festoolusa.com/products/cordless-drills

Josh MapleME

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
02-24-2009, 08:40 PM
Scott,

You have helped me in the past, so advice back at ya free of charge. My wife got me a Hitatchi 18 volt at Lowes 3 years ago for Christmas with 2 batteries, charger, etc. Very compact, lightweight and tons of torque and I could get 200+ taps on one battery and it was $ 99 on a special buy. Same drill is $ 139 now and had a 5 year warranty when I purchased it.

Now they have them with the Lithium batteries for $ 169. I have used Dewalt, Craftsman and others and this is a great drill I have for the money and the link below looks about exactly the same as mine, just the Lithium batteries. Size and weight are a big plus on this drill and it sets up nice in your hand.

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=300255-67702-DS18DSAL&lpage=none

brookledge
02-24-2009, 08:47 PM
I just had to buy one and went with the professional 20 volt craftsman which is lithium ion. First of all it is a lot lighter than nicad batteries. I also like the fact that it has a battery level indicator on each battery. So you don't need to charge it unnecessarily. I just started tapping so I don't know how many taps(5/16) I'll get from a battery. I put in about 175 so far and probably will get 400 plus on a battery.
It came with a standard 2 year warranty
Keith

Homestead Maple
02-24-2009, 08:52 PM
I asked about using the lithium powered drills on here awhile ago and didn't get very many responses, I guess because no one's really had much experience with lithium. Since that posting I have talked to others at different maple meetings and most everyone that I talked to said to stay away from the lithium because they don't give good service in the cold temps. I have used a Dewalt 18v for 4 years now and typically get 200 - 5/16ths. per battery. A few other people I have talked to use 19.2v and 24v and get good results with those.

mountainvan
02-24-2009, 08:57 PM
Bosch 36 volt lithium ion drill, 400+ taps one battery. I got mine at ohio power toll for $199, now it's $400. Guess I got lucky.

Bucket Head
02-24-2009, 09:17 PM
I can't speak for the lithium drill's, but I can tell you the DeWalt 18v XRP drill is a pretty tough unit.

I bought one for my father for Christmas. Yes, a little heavy, but not that bad.

I went with this type because thats what they use at work, and you should see how their used at work. I see them being used as hammers, prybars(with large drill bit in the chuck), and wheelchocks on a couple of occasions.

I have never seen one break completely and not work.

Steve

Haynes Forest Products
02-24-2009, 09:34 PM
I have at todays count 19 cordless tools and 3 radios from DeWalt and I love and hate them. I hate throwing 4 batteries away every year and paying more for one batt than one for my truck. Im so deep into DeWalt that I cant give them up.
If I was going to buy my first and last drill I would go with Rigid. WHY because if you register on line the tool its guaranteed for life batt included. All my shop vacs (5) are Rigid and my wormdrive saw. I wish I could sell them all and start over.

Heck whats my offer for
4) recipracating saws
3) hammer drills
3) regular drills
1) angle drill
3) radios
1) impact driver
3) circular saws
1) 9 volt drill
3) lights
1) DeWalt carrie bag
2) chargers
And they all have batteries

maple sapper
02-24-2009, 10:48 PM
Im reading your post and had to check twice that it wasnt me who wrote it. Im so deeply invested in dewalt as well. I have since started phasing out into Milwakee v28 lith-ion tools instead. I just like the fact the batteries are more powerfull not to mention lighter and have a built in guage on the battery. This way you can check the battery status before going up the ladder or on the roof to do what it is your intended to do with out having to find out the battery is dead once you pull the trigger and put the tool under a load. Maple sapper.

WF MASON
02-25-2009, 03:14 AM
I had one guy tell me he got a Panasonic at wood workers warehouse , the salesman told him if that won't tap twice the holes than any Dewalt , bring it back for your money back. He's still using it.

tessiersfarm
02-25-2009, 05:08 AM
I had the same problem with Dewalt and finally took the plunge and gave all my Dewalt to my brother and bought over $1000 in Makita 18v Lithium, big mistake. I have had more problems with the makita than the dewalt and replaced just as many batteries on the same amount of work. Back to Dewalt for me next time I build up the courage to spend that kind of money. The Lithiums do last longer but Dewalt has an 18v lithium that fits all their other tools now. I have tried several discount brands and I will stick with the Dewalt.

Russell Lampron
02-25-2009, 05:17 AM
I just got 204 taps on one battery with my Snap On 18v cordless drill. It is nicad so I can't comment there but I am real happy with it.

ejmaple
02-25-2009, 05:52 AM
haynes forest is right, rigid will replace any broke tool as long as it was reg. when bought. we've returned 3 drills 2 sawzalls 5 batteries 1 shop vac 1 power snake over the last few years since useing rigid products in the family biz, always a fairly quick turn around.

Jim Brown
02-25-2009, 06:02 AM
Well it looks like I'm the 'LONE RANGER' here but we us RIOBI 18 volts One+ We got 800 5/16 taps with 4 batterys and last Thursday we tapped 300 with two batterys

They work for us !

Jim

NH Maplemaker
02-25-2009, 06:39 AM
No Jim your not alone! I just bought three new RIOBI lithium 18 volt drills.With each one came a drill, a light, 2 batteries, charger, and case! All for $99.00. (on sale) Can't beat that ! The nice thing about the RIOBI is that the drill and charger will work with any RIOBI battery! We also drilled all day with 2 batteries! So at some level it all come down to, WHATS ON SALE,WHAT CAN YOU AFORD, AND HOW MUCH DO YOU USES THEM IN THE OFF SEASON! I know mine set a round a lot during the summer. Any brand work better than a bit brace ! The nice thing about the lithium batteries is that you can charge them any time with out them being completely flat ! Nice feature!

Jim L.

tuckermtn
02-25-2009, 06:49 AM
Powerdub- Scott its good to have ya back on the trader...thanks for all your wiring help- set the pump up yesterday and we'll give it a "wet run" tomorrow...thanks again....

oh and we use a 18vt. standard dewalt. lucky if we get 200 per battery...

Big_Eddy
02-25-2009, 08:36 AM
I'm with Ridgid now - solely for the battery replacement guarantee. I have a number of other cordless drills - all the batteries are shot, yet to replace them costs as much or more than the tool itself. Ridgid guarantee the battery for life - I intend to make them honour that. Doesn't matter to me if I get another 20-50 taps per battery when new - 5 years from I plan to still be tapping with the Ridgid, not have it sitting on the shelf with the other 4 with dead batts.

emo
02-25-2009, 09:56 AM
Popular Mechanics just reviewed 10 18v cordless drills about 2 months ago. They rated a Makita Best overall and the Ryobi Best value. Hopefully this will help.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/home_journal/tools/4292657.html

davey
02-25-2009, 10:42 AM
I took one of my old sears 12 volts, tossed out the battery, extended the leads with alligator clips on the ends and put a motorcycle battery into a shoulder pouch, I've never counted how many taps, but I'd say several hundred easily.

jason loper
02-25-2009, 03:02 PM
we used an old dewalt 18volt a brand new Dewalt 18volt and a Riobi to tap with and the Riobi out tapped both Dewalts all day....My dad with his cheap drill really picked on us guy's with the Dewalts....my Dewalt needs replacing and I didn't here anyone talk about gas powered drills....are they just out of the question for 5/16 taps...i have never used one

dnap63
02-25-2009, 06:22 PM
I have had a construction business for several years. I have had several dewalt cordless tools and found that they just don't hold up well, especially the batteries. The clutches in the drills have also been a problem. The last drill I bought was a hitachi from lowes and have been very happy with it and would buy one again, good torque and good battery life. I was using it in the woods today.

mountainvan
02-25-2009, 06:27 PM
I've had 5/16" bits break in the tree from the torque of a gas powered drill. I like the quiet of a cordless drill anyway.

Haynes Forest Products
02-25-2009, 07:43 PM
I was instructed from DeWalt repair center that you should only drill when the adjustment coller is on the drill symbol and only drive screws using the clutch. Its like drivers education in the woods. Ever have the wife yelling that the bits dull what a peice of crap.....................you got it the little button by the trigger...its called the reverse button push it sweety, Honey,preshis..............Hey dont get mad I didnt meen it .................YIKES

maplescott
02-25-2009, 07:51 PM
We have tried numerous drills but have always gone back to gas powered, they are noisy but we need the production speed. As far as breaking bits, The bits we buy are guaranteed not to break. I don't remember the last time a bit broke either and we are running four drills at once

hard maple
02-25-2009, 09:41 PM
What kind of drills are you using that have garauntee against breaking?

Haynes Forest Products
02-25-2009, 10:35 PM
I dont think any company ever covers breaking I think a lifetime warrenty covers them if they ware out and fail. I dont think having them fall off the roof and break is coverd.

Big John
02-26-2009, 07:40 AM
brand new makita 18v lithium ion 3.0ah batteries 220 taps 1.5ah 100 taps. that is full depth until the chuck hits the tree. sometimes plunging twice for clean out. very light to carry. Love it!!

hard maple
02-26-2009, 09:05 AM
I'm talking about the bit breaking.
Someone said their bits are garaunteed.

davey
02-26-2009, 09:28 AM
Back to the gas powered drills, I have a Tanaka drill, but find it is heavy and awkward to carry around in the woods. I have enough trouble tripping and falling in the woods without carrying that big thing. By the way, its in really nice shape, barely used, anyone want to buy one?

Russell Lampron
02-26-2009, 11:33 AM
davey put it in the classifieds section. Thats how I sold mine last spring.

davey
02-26-2009, 08:01 PM
good idea, any clue as to their value? i got mine through a little negotiating and horse trading

3rdgen.maple
02-26-2009, 08:51 PM
brand new makita 18v lithium ion 3.0ah batteries 220 taps 1.5ah 100 taps. that is full depth until the chuck hits the tree. sometimes plunging twice for clean out. very light to carry. Love it!!

Full depth how long is your bit? Hope it is short. Ryobi men Ryobi. Owned them all and you get more than your moneys worth compared to the high price drills. I put a makita chuck into one of my ryobi impact drivers and I will put that up against the makita, dewalt and craftsman I own, they are all 18volts. my 2 cents and there is no changing my mind on this one.:rolleyes:

michiganfarmer
02-27-2009, 03:18 PM
I dont think any company ever covers breaking I think a lifetime warrenty covers them if they ware out and fail. I dont think having them fall off the roof and break is coverd.

My repair business is a ridgid, and dewalt warranty center. I have called ridgid to ask them what to do because a customer burnt a motor up, or dropped a drill off a roof, and broke the transmission...they said "warranty it". Ridgid has never denied a claim for anything.

michiganfarmer
02-27-2009, 03:19 PM
I took one of my old sears 12 volts, tossed out the battery, extended the leads with alligator clips on the ends and put a motorcycle battery into a shoulder pouch, I've never counted how many taps, but I'd say several hundred easily.

I have thought about doing that many times. Its neat to hear from someone who has done it.

michiganfarmer
02-27-2009, 03:24 PM
I have a 28 volt Li-Ion Milwuakee, and 3 18 volt NiCad delta drills. I dont know that any one is better than the others.

The Li-Ion battery runs at full power till the end then just shuts off. I think the NiCad batteries last a little longer, but they are pretty weak for a while before they finnally quit.

marky the mapler
02-27-2009, 04:23 PM
I second with Big John on the Makita. I have the 18v Lith and it is the best drill on the market besides Panasonic (too expensive). You can't go wrong with this drill + it comes with 2 batteries...not all drills do. My 2 cnts.

Homestead Maple
02-27-2009, 07:51 PM
davey, that's a really neat idea to come up with the motorcycle battery. What ever it takes to get the job done!

hard maple
02-27-2009, 08:40 PM
Still looking for that person with the garauntee on the drill bits!!!!
talk turkey
I'm waiting for a debate on this one

maple flats
02-28-2009, 07:35 AM
I have used both DeWalt 18V which i like best but I also have a Ryobi that is fairly good 18V. Well we use the dewalts first. I had more help coming so I tried my Ryobi but founf I needed a new charger. Looked up a charger and before I knew what I was doing I bought a Recon unit with drill, charger and 2 lithium batteries (and this charger is rated to also charge the nicad batts too) for not much more than I could buy a charger. I also wanted another spare battery and this was the cheapest way. I still like the Dewalts better but with the Ryobi I will now have 2 nicad and 2 lithium batteries, and I also have a forth drill for more help. (I will eventually get people to stop asking if they can help if I always have the toold ready for them, but I hope not).

davey
02-28-2009, 10:08 AM
thanks, it has worked out well, and salvaged an old drill that otherwise was junk.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
03-01-2009, 04:52 PM
Guys,

One thing that hasn't been mentioned is a drill holster on your side works great. Some of you make use one, but if not, they are worth the few bucks. Drill a hole, drop the drill in it and drive the spout in the tree. Hammer holster on the left side and a drill on the right side for me being right handed works great.

Revi
03-01-2009, 08:03 PM
I like my holster, but the drill occasionally fell out yesterday into four feet of snow...

We did manage to get 200 tapped yesterday.

I wish I had one of those lithium battery drills, but the sears will have to do for now.

The extra battery came in handy!

Homestead Maple
03-01-2009, 08:37 PM
Four or five years ago I bought what's called "The Monster Hook" at Home Depot to carry my drill. It mounts right on your belt. I tried a holster but getting the drill in and out of it was a little cumbersome. The hook is quick. I'll try to post a picture of it.

Homestead Maple
03-01-2009, 08:48 PM
Four or five years ago I bought what's called "The Monster Hook" at Home Depot to carry my drill. It mounts right on your belt. I tried a holster but getting the drill in and out of it was a little cumbersome. The hook is quick. I'll try to post a picture of it.

Haynes Forest Products
03-01-2009, 09:06 PM
I took a sling from a duffel bag that I had and put a strap around the drill handle and have a carabiner holding them. When Im walking or working the woods it just hangs on my side and when I get to a tree I just slide it up and drill and then just drop it and it slides to my side. I use the short Grill bits so I dont spear my leg as I work. I also took a old phone cord and taped my tubing cutter to it so I can work with it and not lose it. Hammers get Yellow tape on the handles.

Bucket Head
03-01-2009, 09:30 PM
My father and I tapped 171 taps this weekend with one battery on a DeWalt XRP 18V cordless drill. Almost all of them were in frozen wood, which is harder to drill. Probably could have done more in thawed wood.

Were pretty happy with the performance of this drill. I can't speak for the other brands, or type of battery they all have.

I offer this for comparison for everyone who is thinking about a drill purchase.

Steve

davey
03-02-2009, 09:44 AM
I had a buddy tell me that I should always be sure my batteries are at room temperature before and during charging as well as when being stored after charging. Any thoughts on whether or not this is true?

wcproctor
03-02-2009, 10:09 AM
Rigid drills Have a life time warranty and the battery dose to

Homestead Maple
03-02-2009, 11:56 AM
davey, I had some 18v DeWalt batteries rebult and the man that rebuilt them gave me the same info about making sure the batteries were at room temp.

michiganfarmer
03-03-2009, 01:45 PM
Guys,

One thing that hasn't been mentioned is a drill holster on your side works great. Some of you make use one, but if not, they are worth the few bucks. Drill a hole, drop the drill in it and drive the spout in the tree. Hammer holster on the left side and a drill on the right side for me being right handed works great.

I like those but they pull my pants off

powerdub
03-03-2009, 03:08 PM
Thanks for all the responses. I have a fleet of 18v rigid stuff but the batteries are all pretty much shot. I didn't register them either, not knowing I could. I found a good deal on an 18v hitachi Lithium-ion drill for which I have an impact driver so that will give me four batteries and if the drill does as well as the driver I will be in good shape. If not, I will chalk it up as another learning experience. I will keep you posted as to how it works out.

marky the mapler
03-04-2009, 12:03 PM
Taped 95 with the Makita 18v Lith. Awesome Awesome Tool. Light too!

Homestead Maple
03-04-2009, 09:23 PM
Marky,
did the battery quit or was that all you did for today?

3rdgen.maple
03-05-2009, 12:50 AM
Just little tidbit for you guys. I have rebuilt several of my own battery packs over the years for less than half the cost of a new battery.. Pop the battery casing apart and you will see many batteries soldered in series to each other, take one to a electronics store and buy replacement batteries solder them in series put them back in the case with a little epoxy to hold her together and your good to go. Simple and fairly quick to do and keeps a little green in the wallet too.

petersp22
03-05-2009, 12:51 PM
I have a Milwaukee 14.4 volt that I really like. I had one battery (Nicad) go bad recently - wouldn't take a charge. So I went online shopping for batteries ($$$$) and found some forum that suggested zapping the batteries with a few more DC volts than the battery is rated. This is supposed to renew them somehow. What I had was completely useless so I thought "what the heck - I'll try it."

I wired a couple 12 volt batteries from my boat in series to make 24 volts and then touched a lead from the positive terminal to the positive on the drill battery, and with the negative lead I tapped the drill battery's negative spade 8-10 times. There were some sparks. The drill battery went from registering a touch over 2 volts to over 14 volts. I put it on the charger and it took a charge. Still skeptical - I just drilled 200 5/16 inch holes in some 3/4 inch plywood. It wasn't slowing down. I would not have believed it if I hadn't seen it myself. It might fail again in a week - who knows. But for now I've got two working batteries again.

Before anybody tries this I suggest doing some research on your own. I take no responsibility for your smoking drill...

ibby458
03-17-2009, 05:49 AM
For 5/16 holes, my Craftsman 19.2 volt works fine. Around 200 taps per battery. I bought the extended warrenty and they replace bad batteries with no fuss.

I bought Russel's Tanaka tapper for the 7/16 holes, and it's AWESOME. I'd sure like to buy another one. We broke the rewind in the middle of tapping and had to finish with the cordless drills. 30-40 7/16" holes per new battery.

Fred Henderson
03-17-2009, 05:53 AM
Weeks or the Woodchop shop can fix that rewind.

KenWP
03-17-2009, 06:52 AM
Yesterday my cordless drill stopped dead drilling a tree. I actually found the recipt for it in the pocket of my coat that I haven't worn since last spring when I bought it in June at the fathers day sale at Canadain Tire. So hopefuly I can get around the French and get it replaced.

ibby458
03-18-2009, 05:39 AM
Hi Fred!

It was just the rewind rope. I bought a spool of it and replaced it myself. You sure were right about gas tappers!