PDA

View Full Version : Log Cabin Pure Maple Syrup

Toblerone
02-24-2009, 10:51 AM
This is what Log Cabin says on the side of their syrup bottle:

... We use select sugar maple trees and harvest them during peak season, so we can bring you this authentic, full bodied grade A dark amber syrup...

Are they picking oranges or making syrup? I mean do they have any idea where the bulk syrup they are buying in Canada comes from? "Select sugar maple trees"? They're buying in bulk from Canada and have probably never even seen a sugar maple tree. And they harvest the trees apparently. I guess they chop them up and make a stew!

I just thought this was hilarious! I Hope you do too.
Dave

Russell Lampron
02-24-2009, 11:30 AM
I saw some of that Log Cabin syrup in Sams Club. I got a good chuckle out the label too. Until I had seen that the only Log Cabin syrup I knew about was the fake kind that boast of having 2% real maple syrup.

DaveB
02-24-2009, 01:22 PM
I've seen some crazy descriptions myself on Websites. One guy wrote how they concentrate sap from decades old maple trees - and they don't scrimp either! They use more than 40 gallons in ever gallon of maple syrup. Another one wrote that they 'squeeze out excess water before boiling it' so they are more efficient (green). At the same time another guy said that they were high tech and used reverse osmosis technology to improve it.

I realize that it's all marketing to those outside of the business, but it is funny to read if you know what the business. You kind of have to be 'descriptive' in order to seal the deal with city folk that have no idea about things.

Dave

mapleman3
02-24-2009, 01:25 PM
oh and don't forget we taste test every drop of syrup for flavor too!!!

Amber Gold
02-24-2009, 02:04 PM
We have to...what would be the point of making it.

dnap63
02-24-2009, 10:04 PM
Last year my inlaws from Brooklyn came up to help make syrup, they were real disapointed when they found out you don't just open a spigot on the tree and hold your plate of pancakes under it.

KenWP
02-24-2009, 10:21 PM
My freind took a big glass jug of syrup to England a couple of years ago and gave it to family over there. He went back a year later and asked how they liked it. It turns out they threw it away with out opening the bottle as they saw a couple floatys in it and thought it had gone bad.