PDA

View Full Version : Perfume smell

82cabby
02-24-2009, 09:59 AM
So I was able to get several 15 gallon plastic containers from work. They are really nice. Tall cylinder with a nice plastic screw in cap. They originally held laundry products, nothing dangerous. I was thinking I would use them to collect sap.

Most cleaned up really well and are basically new. However, two of them had scented soap in them and I am having a tough time getting rid of the perfume smell.

Anyone have any ideas?

Haynes Forest Products
02-24-2009, 10:02 AM
Yes......... dont use them it will linger in the sap. I love free stuff but its just not worth the trouble.

wcproctor
02-24-2009, 10:05 AM
use 1/2 gallon of bleach to 15 gallons of water (5.25 sodium hypochlorite or clorox) let it sit and then rinse it out.

Haynes Forest Products
02-24-2009, 11:12 AM
Then your sap will smell like............................clean perfume

davey
02-24-2009, 12:31 PM
I would agree with looking elsewhere for containers, if for no other reason than they held non-food items. Additionally, I once got some barrels that had contained raspberry concentrate. I bleached them, no luck. Filled them with water and baking soda and drove around with them in the back of the truck for a few days, helped but still a little scent. Used them, could smell raspberries as the maple cooked. Had family do a blind taste test on syrup from sap out of those versus other containers and they could all pick up a difference.

RileySugarbush
02-24-2009, 12:32 PM
I used 5 gallon pickle buckets for years. It took several seasons for the pickle smell to go away, but I never could detect it in the syrup or sap. Nonetheless, I don't use them anymore....

Mac_Muz
02-24-2009, 01:43 PM
I'ld do all the above, and then see if you can use them next year, and leave them open to air.

82cabby
02-24-2009, 06:57 PM
I tried 1/4 of a gallon of bleach to 15 gallons of water already, no change. I will up that as soon as I get more bleach. Haven't tried baking soda yet and I do have some of that around.

If I can't get rid of it I am definately not going to use them. Its only two out of about eight anyway. The rest are fine...

brookledge
02-24-2009, 09:25 PM
Even though it may look like the plastic container has smooth walls they in fact are very porous and will absorb the original material and retain that smell for a very long time. One thing you could do is fill them with clean tap water and let it sit for a day and then taste the water. If you can't detect any off flavor in the water then they may work for you but if the water taste different than it did before then I'd get rid of them.
Keith

Haynes Forest Products
02-24-2009, 09:51 PM
I would fill with diesel fuel and let sit for a day or two and then clean with gas its easer to get that smell out than cheap perfume................just kidding

KenWP
02-24-2009, 10:25 PM
One thing you could use that we have used to get the smell of dead out of things is coffee. Seems to work well.

Haynes Forest Products
02-24-2009, 11:10 PM
Is that why my wife drinks so much Coffee in the morning.

Mac_Muz
02-25-2009, 07:11 AM
I think you need time, and air, lots of both.... If you can get more unscented use these for something else..

2 years ago I had new auto tranny fluid in buckets for the bob cat which takes about 20 gallons of ATF. I washed these buckets will safety clean and still they were stained. Left them as garden compost buckets which get soils, dead weeds live weeds and I sort of make a stew of that stuff, as a wet compost.

Washed them in fall, and let them be, in a sunny 3 wall shed, where snow and ice formed in them, and it time the rest of the atf came out.

This year I can use these to collect sap off the tree, leaving sap in them just moments. Maybe next year I will be confident enough to plug them in.

82cabby
02-25-2009, 05:00 PM
I would fill with diesel fuel and let sit for a day or two and then clean with gas its easer to get that smell out than cheap perfume................just kidding

You know... I hadn't thought of that!

I am currently letting them dry all the way out to see if that helps. I got two more of the ones with the non-scented product from work so I am back up to the original number.

Now all I need is a sap run!