PDA

View Full Version : Fertilizer

Jerome
02-24-2009, 05:30 AM
I have about 100 saplings 2-3 inches in dynamiter that I would like to fertilize this year as we had a fungus last. What is the best type of fertilizer to use I have both liquid and pellet spreaders for the tractor.

maplehound
02-24-2009, 11:29 AM
When I fertilized mine I just went to a local dealer and asked for a slow release fertilizer. If you don't use a slow release go very sparingly on it. I have a friend who lost about half his stand of saplings due to over fertilizing and he is the one who warned me about going to slow release.

Jerome
02-24-2009, 04:32 PM
what numbers did you use?

cncaboose
02-24-2009, 07:17 PM
I have used 10/10/10 and some lime around the roadside trees in my yard to help offset the negative effects of excessive roadsalt. A few handfuls tossed around every spring and fall for 25 years has grown some terrific trees. Also if you want some more specific info look up this publication available from the Proctor REasearch station in VT. It goes into a lot of depth on whether you need to fertilize, evaluating soils, etc.
http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc/fertilization_brochure.pdf

Jerome
02-24-2009, 08:49 PM
great
that is exactly what I was looking for.

pennslytucky
02-25-2009, 02:39 PM
1 part lime, 1 part ashes, 5 parts cottonseed meal... thats what i feed once a year or so to the fruit trees and a few maples. i usually mix a bucket of mix into a wheelbarrow full of composted horse manure and good topsoil.

also, urine has alot of fertilizer's and minerals in it. take a whizz by ur tree when ur out... seriously

jtthibodeau
02-25-2009, 03:25 PM
also, urine has a lot of fertilizer's and minerals in it. take a whizz by ur tree when ur out... seriously

I'm laughing here big time because I've always wondered if that effects your "Organic" certification!!!!

hard maple
02-25-2009, 09:45 PM
I dump all my ashes from the woodstove around my maples.
Think I read that in the maple sugar book.