PDA

View Full Version : First run in Scotland, CT

Hurricanefarm
02-23-2009, 03:01 PM
We finished off a little more than a gallon for our first syrup of the year. We moved up to a "real" evaporator and are planning to put in another 60 taps this week here in Scotland, CT.

Hurricanefarm
02-27-2009, 05:56 PM
We've secured the use of a sugarbush about 2 miles away from our farm. Wow! What a great natural resource nestled away into the woods. We've added another 60 taps and yielded over a gallon per tap over the past 24 hours. At this rate, we'll be gathering twice a day.

Let's hope the weather smooths out. Snow on the way? More mud to follow!

ebourassa
02-27-2009, 09:07 PM
there are alot of sugar maples in your area, i know your neighbors really well the webers, I grew up in Scotland on Littlefield rd., i am about 5 miles away from you. have fun boiling this weekend
Erik Bourassa

Revi
02-27-2009, 09:27 PM
Great Blog Hurricane Farm!

Really cool pics and stories.

We're about a month behind you, but it's going to happen this weekend.

We're tapping here in Central Maine.

ctjim
02-28-2009, 05:12 AM
nice blog and pics hurricane.you're just over the hill from us in lebanon. with that many taps, have you thought about doing any gravity lines? i think it may save you some time in the collection, i know it would help me out on about 1/2 of my taps but unfortunately they're in an area where our cattle run, and they would tear the lines down quick. good luck this year,jim

Hurricanefarm
02-28-2009, 11:43 AM
Thanks for checking out the blog. It takes a lot of time, but it is pretty enjoyable.
We might entertain some gravity lines next season.

Jim, where are you in Lebanon? I drive by a few set ups on my way to school (I teach 7th grade at the middle school)...I see some line set ups on my way up the hill, and then another set up on Chapelle Road after the Chesmer's farm.

I love watching for buckets and lines in the woods this time of year.

Great day outside boiling today!

ctjim
02-28-2009, 05:55 PM
the taps you see by chesmers farm i believe are the people that own sugar maple farms on rte 207 just over the hill from the green heading towards lyman school. i live very close to chappel rd on rte 289, i have a few buckets at my house but most of my taps are over in salem at my familys farm. planning on boiling up my 1st batch tomorrow. jim

Hurricanefarm
02-28-2009, 08:51 PM
Hope the weather holds for tomorrow.
We still have a few hours of work left boiling on this last batch.

I see your buckets on the way into school.

Where do you boil? I didn't notice a sugar shack, do you do it outside?

Have a good one tomorrow!

sugar man
02-28-2009, 09:38 PM
had a good run to day boiled about 60 gal little rig works real good.hope to get started early tomarrow still have 35 gal left.i half to finnish about 3 gal of real nise light amber good luck,have a good run. marc

Hurricanefarm
03-01-2009, 11:28 AM
Sugaring in the snow today. We're outside since we don't have a sugar house built yet...

Even though the sugar house will be nice and cozy, I think that I will miss the outside sugaring...the steam is rising, the snow is falling, and everything smells clean and "mapley."

30 gallons left for this afternoon, then bottling during the storm.

ctjim
03-03-2009, 07:23 PM
boiled up 55 gal on sun, w/ a bit of a mishap. but we were able to still get some syrup. but we're back to scratch sweetening the pans. hurricane i think the buckets you see are not mine, if they're the ones at the intersection of 87/289. i live a bit farther down the hill from chappel rd. , i boil over in salem at my familys farm, my cousin built a shack over there. on sat afternoon after taking my dog out for a stroll in the corn fields, we went up brush hill in fitchville/franklin, and i saw some buckets along the brush hill dairy property. then saw them boiling over an open fire pit outdoors, reminded me of when we 1st started boiling on a 55 gal drum homemade evap. hoping this weekends warm up will get the trees flowing again.

jimandchuck
03-04-2009, 10:05 AM
Those are my buckets at the intersection of 87 & 289 / & Chapel Rd. etc.
My sugarhouse is off of 207 - can't see it. Sugar Maple Farms / jwjahoda
1200 or so an keeping up.