PDA

View Full Version : Year #2

Groves
02-23-2009, 01:42 PM
It's year two for my kids and I. We're a massive operation at 13 trees.

http://matthewgroves.com/Hobbies/Sugaring09.html

What's the best solution for a thermometer with this steam table setup? Those final degrees tick by so slowly, and my little digital therm does love to fog up.

Haynes Forest Products
02-23-2009, 03:50 PM
Nice HILL BILLY rig thats what Im talking about just have fun. Looks like some blacksmith is looking for his blower. Im thinking you need to go on Craigs list and get that free exersize bike and belt drive that puppy...............But you already talked about that already so lets get it done.
Buy a hydrometer and cup and bingo bango your hitting the big time. I see a 12 volt generator and lights and alot of skinny people with strong legs GOOD JOB.

MapleME
02-23-2009, 05:58 PM
Groves, looks good man- like you guys are having a ton of fun. Love the blower.

I tried and tried to get to syrup with just the thermometer and 1/2 way through the season got the hydrometer. Takes the guessing out of it and its cheap. I used a 30 dollar thermometer that had a probe with 4 foot on it so you could put the probe in but keep the unit out of the steam.

One quick thing I noticed- make sure you are skimming the foam off of the syrup all the time. It kills your surface area that you are boiling off steam. Wasnt sure if the pics on your website had a rolling boil or foam, so sorry if it stating the obvious. Feel free to PM me I can tell you more about the hydrometer etc.

keep up the good work, enjoy the season

Josh MapleME

Clan Delaney
02-23-2009, 09:21 PM
That.... is awesome.

I loved the cooking over the rocket flame.

Groves
02-24-2009, 11:36 PM
Thanks guys. As you know, it's pretty fun.

I guess I don't know how to work a hydrometer. Is the only reason a hydrometer is better than a thermometer is that you can't always be checking the boiling temp of water as the weather changes?

Don't hydrometers take a lot of sap to measure with?