PDA

View Full Version : Enter the poll at the Sugar Inn

firetech
02-23-2009, 11:55 AM
Guys we need to get our state up in the head count. Remeber Michigan has the largest opertuniy for untapped maple production in the country only 2% of our trees are in production. Thats alot of room for growth.

forester1
02-23-2009, 02:25 PM
That's right. Michigan has 20% of the sugar maple in the United States, more than any other state.

Haynes Forest Products
02-23-2009, 03:41 PM
Then quit snowmobiling, hunting and stareing at the BIG bridge and get to work. Mybe you need to get some of the stimulas money and start writing grants for help and run Vermont off the map.

howden86
02-23-2009, 08:53 PM
You can add alot of taps but good luck trying to find help. I know four business that can not expand because they can not find good help. I am debating on even quiting in the near future becaues I get sick of it

forester1
02-24-2009, 07:45 AM
Maybe we can use some stimulus money to retrain out-of-work auto workers to make syrup. Go from $40/hour to $2/hour.

Dave Y
02-24-2009, 08:52 AM
You can add alot of taps but good luck trying to find help. I know four business that can not expand because they can not find good help. I am debating on even quiting in the near future becaues I get sick of it

I do not have trouble finding help. Go to your local high school and recruit some atheletes. tell them you pay cash. you will have help

howden86
02-24-2009, 10:14 AM
I have paid up to $15 an hour cash. where I am at people don't want to work and high schoolers are even worse, drunk if they will even show up

firetech
02-24-2009, 07:54 PM
I've got a 4-H club that helps me out, we bottle up an 8 once bottles with a thank you label and give it to the kids animal buyer at the auctions during fair week. Its a nice gift and best a hat or cup holder any day. They are washing buckets at teh end of the season All the unemployed relatives are on notice for a couple of sap pick ups too. No free syrup!!!!!!

michiganfarmer
02-25-2009, 03:15 PM

Blasphemer!!!!!! lol

oneoldsap
02-26-2009, 06:44 AM
I'd guess if you can't find any help that wants to sugar, you have found the answer as to why only 2% of Michagin maples are being tapped. Try to find a partner to buy in, or help you expand. Cut them in for a percentage and you'll find your workers. Everyone works harder if they have an investment in the outcome. You may find it won't cost you a thing in the long run !!

Haynes Forest Products
02-26-2009, 08:00 AM
Call the employment office and get on the list of available jobs. Doesnt the boy scouts have members working on merit projects that need the hrs. Heck if your like me and loose money every year call yourself a nonprofit and get all the little juvies from the courts to do community service.