PDA

View Full Version : Bucket Mold

skinny78
02-23-2009, 12:22 AM
I use plastic buckets and find that depending on the weather eventually mold starts to grow in the buckets. At that point we have been spraying a bleach solution in them and scrubbing them with a brush, a quick rinse with clean water and on to the next bucket. Is this absolutely necessary? Will the mold have an effect on the finished product? We clean them the same way before the season starts, but here in Missouri we get some pretty warm days during the syrup season.

Father & Son
02-23-2009, 07:40 AM
If you are not hot packing into a sealed container mold will develope. Mold will not hurt syrup. If you are using 5 gallon buckets I think it is Maplepro/CDL that sells a plastic bag that fits these buckets. They have a valve on them that lets you dispense syrup without letting any air in. I haven't used them myself but was told they worked well.

Jim

mountainvan
02-23-2009, 08:33 AM
Having mold growing in the sap buckets will cause the syrup you make from that sap to be darker, that's about it. Any mold in the sap is killed during boiling. If I get slime/mold in my buckets I clean them.

Dennis H.
02-23-2009, 08:40 AM
If you collect the sap and boil it on the same day then I wouldn't worry about it to much.
Now if you are collecting the sap and then waiting a few days to boil then I would worry about cleaning the buckets.

But like mountainvan said the biggest thing you may notice is that it will produce darker syrup.

I would just try and collect and boil on the same day.

Mapleridge
02-26-2009, 06:12 AM
We did an experiment last season with our plastic 5 gal buckets. I brushed and rinsed with fresh water the buckets 4-5 times during the season and also did the same with our 60 gal collection tanks. We had no mold develop. And we produced 32 gallons of the best "buttery maple" tasting syrup ever. We sell to friends and locally by word of mouth, and all noticed the great flavor .It could have just been a great flavored year.? Now we plan on doing the same this year, we'll see if we get equal results. I bought the brush from Leaders, $5, it works easy and shows no wear after brushing everything at the end of the season. Cleaner may make that special difference..?