PDA

View Full Version : Dark Sap

The Butcher
02-22-2009, 07:39 PM
Put all the taps out yesterday. I was suprised at how much they were running. I know I am a bit early but time is going to be an issue later in the week.
When I went to see what trees were running I collected what was there in a clean cooler. I didn't notice it last night but when I looked in today the sap is very dark. Not like late in the year yellowish dark. This is a gray/black dark. The sap seems very clear (not cloudy) just stained dark??? Has anyone seen this before? What could have caused it? Should I toss this sap or just mix it in?

325abn
02-22-2009, 07:49 PM
Did it rain? If its not clear then dump it.

The Butcher
02-22-2009, 07:51 PM
it did not rain. The sap collected was done so about 5 hours after the taps were put in.

ericjeeper
02-22-2009, 08:38 PM
What did you use to catch the sap? Metal buckets?Sap saks?or plastic buckets?

The Butcher
02-22-2009, 08:45 PM
I used some old metal buckets that I bought used. The rest were in plastic buckets.

I wouldn't think that the sap sat in there long enough to make that much difference.

I did not run it through cheese cloth so there is a little crap in the sap but not much. Maybe tap tinted the sap?

I am not worried about tossing this little bit, but if this continues when things really start to run I will be bummed.

Could it be the old buckets? Some have quite a bit of rust.

fred
02-22-2009, 09:11 PM
sounds like dirt and rust

Mac_Muz
02-24-2009, 03:56 PM
Maybe line one of the buckets with a white plastic trash bag and see if it is really the sap or just a rusty staining.. A little rust shouldn't harm anything.

HHM-07
02-24-2009, 04:09 PM
most likely the rust, i would scrub them good with fine steelwool If you don't have too many