PDA

View Full Version : pump location

sapman
02-22-2009, 06:19 PM
I'm debating how involved I need to get for protecting my vacuum pump, like a covered, locked, enclosure. The man I purchased from said he just leaves his out in the open, uncovered, without problems. One concern I have is moisture freezing on the components, esp. the carb area. But my biggest worry is that someone will tamper with it, or try to steal the gas, etc. Any of you ever have problems with passersby bothering stuff?

Thanks,
Tim

Bucket Head
02-22-2009, 07:04 PM
Tim,

Once I had a line cut down. I have not had anything stolen..., yet.

I guess you'll have to determin how vulnerable the equipment is. Is it in plain sight? Is it near the road? Has vandalism been a problem in the past? Is it a high traffic area? A couple of guys with a pick up truck at 4 in the morning can make off with a lot of stuff very quickly, and without anyone seeing.

A shed to protect it from weather would be good. A lockable shed would be good too, but if someone wants in bad enough...

I try not to put anything out where someone could drive or walk right up to it. A few years ago a guy near me lost his stainless tank that was at the road side.

Its a chance all of take I guess.

Steve

Haynes Forest Products
02-22-2009, 07:26 PM
I hade a SS tank stolen back when scrap was sky high. When I did road side I was always worried about the yellow sap.......never happened. Can you wrap chainlink fence around it make it a royal pain in the butt to steal.
We once took 2 of those screw in gi wire ancors that screw into the ground 2 feet and then chained compressor to it.

danno
02-22-2009, 09:00 PM
Tim - how accessible is the pump? Public area?

Mine is about 100' from my back door and have had no problems. Some areas theft and vandelism just seems to be more of a problem than others. Are you all set on how you are going to set it up?

You're more than welcome to stop over to see my set up. Sugarhouse is a mess right now with the great idea of rebuilding my grates and adding air above the fire a week before the season starts - but you're welcome if you are in the neighborhood.

sapman
02-22-2009, 09:16 PM
Danno, I wouldn't expect anyone to bother your stuff, being back in their pretty close to your house like it is. My bush is 10 miles away, in a supposed bad area at times, so I've been told. A neighbor who kind of watches out for me said he chased a couple kids out of there that were beating on the mainline with a stick. I haven't seen any damage yet. I actually wouldn't be too concerned, except for his warnings. I only see decent neighbors walking their dogs when I'm around. I don't expect anything to "walk" away really. It's 100' off the road, down a steep incline, and tons of trees. Stainless tank will be inside locked building. I've considered putting the pump in there, too, and piping the exhaust ouside. But it would be pretty tight, then.

I've just got so much to do yet, and making a locking shed for the pump adds to the list. But I'd probably feel better.

Tim

danno
02-23-2009, 09:15 AM
Tim -

My pump has a steel frame underneath that I could run a cable through to lock to a tree. Also, with the weight of my pump, nobody is going to pick it up and walk away with it. Might be another story if they could back up a truck to it.

sapman
02-23-2009, 06:41 PM
Well, I was agonizing tonight whether I should start the vacuum pump shed tomorrow or not, as I have TONS of other important stuff to get ready. My wife, the voice of reason, suggested I leave that til a little later, perhaps use it outdoors for awhile. So I think that's what I'll do. Then I can custom-build the shed around it and avoid mistakes in sizing. Will probably put the 12 gallon fuel tank in the present building for now.

Thanks for all your thoughts,
Tim

oneoldsap
02-26-2009, 06:58 AM
If stealing your equipment is anything like work you should be safe frim theft, crooks tend to be lazy bastards!!

sapman
02-26-2009, 10:12 PM
Fortunately, that's usually true. At the well drilling business I work with, the patriarch, who's now deceased, always said leave the tools greasy. Thieves don't like to get their hands dirty, either.

Tim

Haynes Forest Products
02-26-2009, 11:20 PM
I have a friend with a tree service and went to jump his truck battery and it had about inch of axel grease all over it and he said all his trucks are that way. And all his gas tanks are ladeled DIESEL said he never has any thing stolen anymore.