PDA

View Full Version : Brooklyn Taps in

ebourassa
02-22-2009, 07:46 AM
Put in 304 taps yesterday with another 70-80 more to go, probably do those on tuesday, they were running alittle yesterday hopefully enough to clean out the tubing. hope to have enough for next weekend to boil suppose to warm up on wed -fri., we'll see
erik

ebourassa
02-27-2009, 08:39 PM
I picked up about 250-300 gal this afternoon, boiled for a few hours to sugar the pan, hope to have some syrup this weekend, pancakes anybody!!!!!!
the sap was flowing really good here this afternoon. i had apanic attack today while i pumping out the tanks my pump quit. oh @$%&. took it back ripped the carb apart and found alittle piece of dirt stuck in the needle valve, thanks goodness it was something simple. really made me think on having a back up.

Green Hollow Maple
03-02-2009, 12:33 AM
You've got to love it when those pumps mysteriously give up the ghost. I use an electric pump to transfer sap from a bulk tank to my feed tank - it has a tendency to get airbound. Perhaps some further engineering on my part is required.

ebourassa
03-09-2009, 08:06 AM
finally a day to relax i boiled 11 hours on sat. and 12 on sunday pickup a little over 800 gal since friday. boy did they run this weekend, started making some dark syrup last night and a lower suger content around 1.5 from 2.0 on sat., now i am wondering if i going to have enough wood (like i so every year), i hope everyone else did well his weekend, looks like another long one coming up again.

ebourassa
03-16-2009, 09:14 AM
collect 1900 gal so far, and have about 38 gals made, so far its been a great year for me, i only ever collected 2000 gal of sap in the past. Cleaned out the front pan yesterday and boiled to 10:30 pm. i have pickup 400 gal the last two days. I also went and got 2 triaxle loads of slab wood and we already burnt through one of them, may have to go and get a couple more. Last night boiling started burning slab wood that was about 4 years old and stacked boy did that burn hot, i have a temp gauge on the stack and it got so hot it fell down and woudnt stick with the magnet, (now thats hot), my arch just behind my rear pan and chimney steel plate was starting to glow red, so i started mixing in some less seasoned wood with it.

ebourassa
03-29-2009, 07:36 AM
well it over for me, i pulled and cleaned the tanks yesterday, dumped about 100 gals of sap that has been their collecting for a week now, at 1.2% sugar it wasnt really worth me boiling it (2 1/2 hours of burning wood for 1 gallon of c grade syrup ) it was some ugly looking stuff too has white suspened white blobs in it. made around 45 gals once i boil what is left in the pans,overal it was an average year, got most of my sap in the first two weeks, i thought it was going to be abanner year then the weather got too warm and no rain.

mapleman3
03-29-2009, 10:14 AM
Yep, far cry from a banner year... it pretty much sucked! 3 weeks of boiling with even a few days off in between 16 days total for me.. 120 gallons Appx.

the weather just killed us this year!