PDA

View Full Version : trimming suckers off the bottoms of tree's

Slatebelt*Pa*Tapper
10-31-2004, 08:32 PM
Was wondering if it will hurt to remove the lower suckers growing off the bottom of the main trunks.

My tree's on our propety where logged off back in 1975. So some of them have 2-5 trunks coming up. I've been cutting a few of them off that dont look so good, hope this wont hurt them.

I've also took notice that some of them are dieing off naturlly and figured I'd speed it up for them.

Also lower limbs that grow below the 4 foot level I've been removeing also. Hope this dont hurt them.

Most are Red maple's and I know they are pretty tuff tree's. Because I cut down some about 2 years ago and by god they just keep sprouting back up.

Any help please.
Thanks Chuck

Maple Hill Sugarhouse
11-01-2004, 06:57 AM
post edited

Slatebelt*Pa*Tapper
11-02-2004, 06:51 PM
I,ve cut both ways. I don't however use paint. Anymore info is always welcome.

Thanks Chuck

forester1
11-02-2004, 07:02 PM
There has been a lot of research over the years about covering tree wounds with paint and other wound dressings. They have been found ineffective. The only time paint would help is in a sunny situation where it would reflect heat and prevent bark splitting on small trees, like in an apple orchard. As far as wounds, I wouldn't cover them with anything. Trees have evolved dealing with wounds for millenia without any coverings.

Slatebelt*Pa*Tapper
11-02-2004, 07:07 PM
I cant say anything about paint. I havent really looked into it.

But Id say your right about them being able to heal themselfs.

Chuck

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
11-02-2004, 08:41 PM
Trees have a built in system to heal themselves. The main thing is to cut the limbs as close to the trunk as possible because anything that sticks out will rot and cause the trunk to rot in that area also.

Paints have chemicals in them and I wouldn't recommend anything that is specifically designed for trees.

Maple Hill Sugarhouse
11-04-2004, 04:06 PM
I deleted post

Slatebelt*Pa*Tapper
11-08-2004, 06:04 PM
I agree that a little wild cating my be the ticket to figuring it all out.

One thing is, I wish when you cut of these limbs that they wouldnt grow back.
Thats one thing about the maple I dont like :twisted: . You clip off the branch and it comes back with 5-8 more sprouts.

I guess the only thing to do for that is to just keep removeing the new sprouts?? :?:

Thanks
Chuck

Maple Hill Sugarhouse
11-08-2004, 06:50 PM
post edited

can'twaitforabigrun
04-30-2010, 08:30 PM
I believe that when you are cutting actual limbs off the side of the tree, you shouldn't cut too close to the tree but about 1/2 inch away from the trunk just outside the collar (which is where the branch joins the trunk). That is where the tree will heal the wound the quickest. I'm not an expert, but this is just what I've heard from others and seems to make sense.

red maples
05-01-2010, 06:06 AM
I had a few trees removed next to the house and a big branch that was leaning over the house (had to bring in a crane) and the guy told me the paints does nothing but darken up the cut spot so when you look out the window you don't see a big white roundthing...what ever!!!

wally
05-01-2010, 02:26 PM
I believe that when you are cutting actual limbs off the side of the tree, you shouldn't cut too close to the tree but about 1/2 inch away from the trunk just outside the collar (which is where the branch joins the trunk). That is where the tree will heal the wound the quickest. I'm not an expert, but this is just what I've heard from others and seems to make sense.

welcome to 6 years ago. :rolleyes: