PDA

View Full Version : tin pan

zippy1wood
02-21-2009, 07:54 PM
I just picked up a 2x4 tin pan I was told it was steel, I posted questions here on steel but know after getting it its tin with lead solder? are these safe to use? also draw off pipe looks to be 2" above bottom of pan is this to high
or to keep from drawing off to much and burning thanks kevin its not homade

Haynes Forest Products
02-21-2009, 08:17 PM
Old tin that has been used/temperd and the lead solder isnt scrubbed clean is ok. The solder will oxidize and form a coating that keeps the lead from leaching out. Old water lines from the 1920-30-40s were lead (remember Mr Plum in the study with the lead pipe)its water pipe. If you have amalgam fillings in your teeth you have had murcury in your mouth and thru your system. As far as the draw off you want it as close to the bottom as possible. you can still draw off as you go and tip it at the end of the day. Under boil things are mixing so much that you will be ok as far as daily draw off goes.

brookledge
02-21-2009, 08:34 PM
Like Haynes said as long as you don't expose the solder you will be ok. To do so don't use acid cleaners and when srubbing with scotch pads don't spend alot of time on the solder. Another thing to keep the lead down in the syrup is to reduce the contact time, so when you are not boiling drain the pans. Or maybe drain them if you aren't going to boil the next day.
Keith

zippy1wood
02-21-2009, 08:38 PM
Thanks for the replys