PDA

View Full Version : Fire Brick

slammer3364
02-20-2009, 07:30 PM
Been reading with quite intrest about the fire-brick under the flue-pan I used the standard 2 and a half by 9 inch brick up the sides under my pan on my 18x 48. Are the suggesting I pull it out and put something less thick up the sides under the pan? If I do this what should I use , and will it protect the the tin . Thanks really new to this Slammer

Thompson's Tree Farm
02-20-2009, 07:42 PM
Slammer,
There are fire brick available that are only about an inch thick. If you used those, a bit more of your pan might be exposed to the fire. How far under the pan do the full size bricks extend? The thinner brick should protect the sides adequately as most of the heat is going up. If you are bricked and ready to go now, I would wait for any modifications until after this season.

danno
02-20-2009, 08:44 PM
I did this (1/2 bricks right under the pan) as I was bricking my arch. If it was all bricked up with full brick, I would not bother to replace the top row with half bricks. I'm always looking to increase my evap rate, but not worth making this modification in my opinion.