PDA

View Full Version : Pan Fab. Advice

SeanD
02-20-2009, 06:35 PM
Right now I use a 2x3 flat pan with a couple of steam pans on a block arch. I'm trying to make the transition to a "real evaporator" (not made yet) and I want to incorporate the old pan into the new set up.

Would it be easier/better to add sections and draw offs to the flat pan I have and make a separate drop flue pan from scratch

or

cut off the bottom of the flat pan I have, add flues, and make a new syrup pan with sections?

The bottom of the flat pan is a little warped and 18 ga. so it's a little harder to get a good boil because of the thickness and having to run it a little deeper to cover the high spot. I wouldn't mind seeing that part of the pan go.

Thanks,
Sean

ericjeeper
02-20-2009, 07:07 PM
I think I would save it for a backup. All you will be gaining are the four sides,.maybe 50 bucks worth of material tops..Build an entire new pan is my vote.

Haynes Forest Products
02-20-2009, 10:17 PM
As you grow your going to want and need a finishing pan. Mine is 2X3 so dont cut it up move it up the equipment chain.

WF MASON
02-21-2009, 04:02 AM
I have chopped the bottom out of quite a few flat pans over the years. If your going to do it your self , the up side is the pan is 18 gauge and makes it easier to weld the 22 ga. flues into it. It can be done. If your having someone make the pan for you, the time of cutting up the pan , cleaning and prep before welding or soldering could be two hours or so in labor. That money could go into new stainless the gauge you want.
I did find that the drop flue pan that the flue stops 1" from the ends of the pans, a couple companys made theses in soldered for years , as welding evolved in the industry, flues going the entire length of the pan and welded to the pan ends saves hours of welding setup to make and much much easier to assemble.
Just a tip- have the bank of flues all assembled togeather ready to put into the pan, 'before' you cut your opening. Expansion, Contraction, Bend Radius,
No Coffee, one thing affects the other. Your final measurement could be + or -

tessiersfarm
02-21-2009, 07:57 AM
I sold mine and started from scratch. A 2x3 pan is around 12 sq ft of stainless or $75.00 or so. You should be able to get that much out of it to a new backyarder. Starting with new materials will save you labor on prep and cutting so you will actually be ahead.