PDA

View Full Version : steam stack

jrthe3
02-20-2009, 03:20 PM
i going to put a steam hood on my rig was wondering if it made a difference if i put the steam stack out threw the wall then up or if i should go strait up and out threw the roof

Haynes Forest Products
02-20-2009, 03:35 PM
Good question A stright shot is the best if you need all the draft you can get. Every ding in the pipe, elbow or rain cap will slow this draft. NOW I see some people want to slow this draft down to keep the heat in the arch. If you decide you dont want to cut into the roof or the gable end is easer or you have a second story over the Evap room go out the side. I might use 45 degree elbos to help with the draft and still go out the side I would do it. Having the elbos down low so you have the long stright pipe on the outside so the convection works to your advantage.

ericjeeper
02-20-2009, 05:11 PM
Mine goes horizontal for about four feet before going up. It is going to drip condensate so make sure the horizontal is lowest outside of the shack and drill a few drain holes there.
My only complaint about the horizontal plain is that I can not easily raise my hood. I am going to put a piece of flex in where I now have solid 8 inch on my horizontal.
If you have a long run of vertical pipe you can buy flex duct and feed it over your pre assembled pipe.
Granted this is a lot like putting socks on a full grown rooster. But it is done all the time in the HVAC industry.

Sugarmaker
02-20-2009, 06:33 PM
Socks on a rooster, Now that's why I come to this forum!:)
thanks,
Chris