PDA

View Full Version : Electric soldering tool

briduhunt
02-18-2009, 08:59 PM
I have all the info I need to repair my SS soldered leaking drop flue pan my only problem is finding a sheet metal electric soldering iron. I have tried Craigs list for the past 4 days and have only found pencil type soldering irons. I do not think that will work but I am not sure. if anyone outhere with in driving distance that has a iron they want to sell or just let me borrow I would like to hear from them. If a pencil style iron would work please explain to me how I should address the larger holes. Season is here and I still need to repair my pan. I want to tap this weekend but I do not dare untill I get my pans fixxed.
Thanks for any help.

Big maple
02-18-2009, 09:08 PM
We have a large pencil type. You can get them from most any hardware store, and it works just fine how big are these holes in your pan? I have sealed 1/4" holes, youget the edges tinned then just float the solder over not too difficult but very time consuming.

Haynes Forest Products
02-18-2009, 10:23 PM
try a stained glass store if not them try to find someone that repairs it they must have a few laying around. Keep in mind that alot of the old time soldering irons were not elec they sat over a gas flame for their heat you could make one. If you have to heat bend and fold a peice of copper tubing into a makeshisft iron. remember to tin it with solder first.

davey
02-19-2009, 10:04 AM
Give me a call if you still have my number or pm me for it. I have several irons

Dill
02-19-2009, 10:09 AM
What about an electric dehorning tool for cattle? Seems like the same basic concept.

seclark
02-19-2009, 12:32 PM
I got a few irons from e-bay,one is a 300 watt iron that would work fine.I'm in central n.y if you need to borrow it. stan

briduhunt
02-19-2009, 09:27 PM
I think I got it. It took me a few hours to get it right but I have repaired all of the leaks and to make sure I turned off all of the lights and used a flashlight to look for any more. It took another 2-3 times to fix the holes I found with the flashlight. Tommorow I will be testing the pans with water. Crossing my finger that it has been done right and that I have no more leaks.
Thanks for all the input.

Haynes Forest Products
02-19-2009, 11:05 PM
Well if you miss a few throw in a can of radiator stop leak with the first few boils the one with teflon shreds worked well for me. I only feed that to the family..............Go to bed Chuck.