PDA

View Full Version : Brass Fittings

Breton heart
02-18-2009, 08:56 PM
Can I use brass fittings on my evaporator pan? Does it have a negative effect on the sap or syrup? Does it change flavor or leave residue? I wouldn't cook in a brass pan.

Big maple
02-18-2009, 09:00 PM
They used them for years. They work well, usem

Haynes Forest Products
02-18-2009, 10:16 PM
The set of old 2x8 English tins I have all the fitting are brass and didnt do anything to the flavor.

sapman
02-19-2009, 10:19 PM
The industry is trying to move away from brass because of the lead issue. But stainless fittings are awfully expensive. I have a few brass fittings on my evaporator, and my lead test showed me to be WAY below the safe threshold. So it can't be that big of a deal in my mind.

Tim

Breton heart
02-20-2009, 07:19 PM
Tim, you said you had the lead tested for you syrup because of the brass fittings. I just bought a half pint syrup pan Leader made in Sept.1992 about the time leader was changing to lead free solder. We tried a home tester on the solder and lead (pink) and purple (tin) showed up . We would like to test the syrup , where did you send yours to?

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
02-22-2009, 06:44 AM
You can buy the brass quick connect fittings at Lowes and they work great for connecting and quick disconnecting things. I have them on my preheater on the outside of the hood on the feed line from the tank and the hot sap line to the evaporator and they solder on and takes about 20 seconds to connect and disconnect the preheater. They were $ 6 for a male and female 3/4" together that solders on and worked great. They may also have them in threaded, I didn't look but I am not the least bit in concerned in using them. I think everyone agrees that stainless is the best, but I think a lot of this stainless talk is fueled by the manufactures wanting to try to sell more equipment.