PDA

View Full Version : Using filter-aid with a gravity filter

DaveB
02-18-2009, 06:06 PM
Does anyone know if you can use filter aid when using a flat or cone filter? I'm wondering if it would improve the speed and/or quality of the syrup that is being filtered.

Thanks,

Dave

TapME
02-18-2009, 06:15 PM
Dave, there was a lot of talk about that here last year. Yes you can use it and it will help in filtering. Peacemaker talked a lot about it. I will be using it this year to help speed up the filtering process. I use a cone with paper liners.

ackerman75
02-18-2009, 06:22 PM
I was wondering if you have to use the filter aid each time or if the filter is "charged" with filter aid it will be good to go for the next batch if it is not plugged ?

gmarvin
02-25-2009, 07:52 PM
OK, I am new at this and I was just a wondering. What exactly is Filter Aid???
Can somebody please tell me.
Thanks George Marvin

65 taps in jugs and an early 1900 Home Comfort Cook Stove
and 1 hard working wife having fun expected to expand after a sucessful 1st season.

3% Solution
02-25-2009, 08:04 PM
Hi guys,
I started using filter aid last year with flat filters.
Again, thanks to mountainvan!!!!
Here's what the van told me to do;
Put the orlon filter down, put three or four papers on top of it.
For the first 3/4 of a gallon (that's what we filter at a time) add 1/8 of a cup of filter aid to the syrup, stir it up real good.
Dump it on the filters, cover it and let it go.
When the filter on top gets clogged, remove it and add another 1/8 of a cup of filter aid to the next batch.
Filter aid is a fine material that gives the niter something to cling to as it filters.
We liked using it, the syrup was real clear.
Hope this helps.

Dave

HHM-07
02-25-2009, 08:45 PM
filter aid is ground uo oyster shells into a powder form it lets the niter cling to it , i would not recomend using it unless you have a filterpress, that is what it was intended for

Haynes Forest Products
02-25-2009, 11:03 PM
Its Diatomaceous Earth its dead/fossilized remenants of Diatows a form of hard shelled Alge. If you look at it under a micrascope it looks like a cross section of Lava its all porous and full of holes. The way it works is when you stir it into the syrup it helps keep all the fine sedement from packing together blocking syrup. You can use it with a cone filter. Its hard to clean it out of the filters so disposable prefilters are the way to go. Once the syrup has drained from a batch its haed to reuse it you need to start over. Once it is packed down it becomes the problem at that point.
They use it in wine and beer filtering. Really it can be used to filter most anything liquid.

gmarvin
02-25-2009, 11:28 PM
Thanks for the answer, I thought so My wife and I used to haul it from the Diatomaceous Earth mines in Lompoc,CA. We drove for Manville Corp. This stuff is used to filter everything from pools to beer and is added into paint as a filler and now Maple Syrup, Cool now I know.
Learning lots this year
Thanks again George Marvin

wcproctor
02-26-2009, 07:04 AM
Can you use De from a pool store or is there a special De for sugaring

3% Solution
02-26-2009, 07:13 AM
wcproctor,
I'm not sure, but I think it has to be food grade.
The Maple Guys sell it in 5 lb. lots.
Either way I would get it from a maple supply dealer.

Dave

cropseyvillemark
02-10-2010, 02:53 PM
When you pull the layer that is full, is it junk or can you clean it and use it again? How much syrup do you usually get to go through before you pull it off?

ejmaple
02-10-2010, 02:56 PM
wcproctor ya unfortantly we can't use pool de. has to be food grade.

PerryW
02-10-2010, 06:45 PM
I run between 100 and 200 gallons of syrup through the flat filters each year and have never used any filter aid. Occasionally, I will have some syrup that has trouble passing, so I just dipper it out, change the filter & prefilter and I'm back in business. I generally change the filter after 5 gallons of syrup.

Haynes Forest Products
02-10-2010, 10:51 PM
Cropsy No you cant clean it and reuse. It all blends together no way to seperate. Its so cheap that if you could you wouldnt want to.

Bill'sSugarShack
02-11-2010, 04:35 AM
Cropsy No you cant clean it and reuse. It all blends together no way to seperate. Its so cheap that if you could you wouldnt want to.

Think he ment cleaning/reuseing the pre-filters..not the filter aid.
I beleive you can clean n reuse the pre-filters/filters.

cropseyvillemark
02-11-2010, 12:38 PM
Yes, I was talking about reusing the prefilters. I wash,dry and re use them now. I draw off about 1-1/2 qts at a time. I end up changing the top prefilter after every batch, then occasionaly changing farther down into the stack. I'm wondering If I did the de mix onthe 2nd filter down If I could at least get the bulk of the filter layers to last longer.