PDA

View Full Version : Filtering options with an eye toward expansion

DaveB
02-18-2009, 06:04 PM
I'm thinking about what I'm going to do for filtering my syrup this year and I'm looking over my options. My operation stayed about the same size for many years, but I've been expanding and want to continue to expand over the next few years and I have to do something about my filtering.

In the past I've used a flat filter on a steamer pot with holes in the bottom but it's not the most efficient way of filtering. I've nearly doubled my number of taps and this won't cut it. I don't have the money for a filter press, but I could afford a filter tank or canner.

Considering future growth, I'm leaning toward a 10 gallon cone filter tank from Leader. I've read that with using prefilters it can work pretty good and I like the size. I've also read that if I get a filter press that I could connect the filter press to the tank and filter right from there, so it sounds like a good solution for now and in the future.

My other option is a canning tank with a filter rack for a flat filter. It's supposed to filter faster, but I worry about future use. I have an electric coffee urn that holds 4 gallons and works real well for canning, although a 10 gallon capacity would be nice. But, I could do that with the cone filter tank, right?

I know it sounds like I made up my mind, but can I get some advice as to what you would do with an eye toward future expansion?

Thanks,

Dave

Haynes Forest Products
02-18-2009, 06:16 PM
I would befriend other sugar makers in the area and offer to buy the filter papers and filter aid and get them to filter your syrup for you. Or buy the press yourself and go from shack to shack and do their filtering for a price. Go in on the press with others in the area and you will all sell a better product make more money and live happely ever after untill you want to get a RO then you could ask a .........................never mind