PDA

View Full Version : Now what to do?

ericjeeper
02-18-2009, 04:26 PM
I finished off over wood today.. I think I overcooked it..It is not burnt, But it is thick. I am afraid to put it into jars..Can I save this thick sugary goodness?

Thompson's Tree Farm
02-18-2009, 05:02 PM
Eric
If you put the syrup that is too thick in jars it will crystalize sugar in the bottom of the jar. Not necessarily a bad thing, but a little difficult to utilize. If you don't have a lot like that, I would just stick it in the fridge and use it right away. If you want to be able to can it, wait until you are cooking the next batch and thin this back down with some near syrup.

brookledge
02-18-2009, 05:10 PM
What are you useing to determine when it is done? If it is beyond syrup it will crystalize and you will lose syrup. My suggestion is to add a little sap or water to bring it back down to the proper density. If you are not using a hydrometer I'd suggest one. They are not very expensive.
Keith

ericjeeper
02-18-2009, 05:13 PM
I normally do not finish off over wood.. But today it just sort of happened..
I can just add it to my next batch then and it will be ok?

Haynes Forest Products
02-18-2009, 05:18 PM
Welcome to the GRADE B club your dues are paid in full.

brookledge
02-18-2009, 05:26 PM
If we are talking a small amount like about a gallon then you can ajust on the stove in your house. It is really not a big deal to ajust the density. Or you can do as you said and add it back in to the next batch. But I've always been a fan of not putting syrup back on the pan once it comes off but sometimes you have too.
Keith

glassman
02-18-2009, 06:23 PM
last year i had a batch that i set on the wood stove over night. thought it would be fine, in the morning it was a thick sugary paste i dilluted with sap and it was fine for the family.
hth

3% Solution
02-18-2009, 06:32 PM
Eat it!!!!
That's what you made it for!!!
:-)

Dave

Haynes Forest Products
02-18-2009, 06:53 PM
I like how we all stride to make the best product we can and when it goes wrong we simply feed it to "THE FAMILY"...........I like it

KenWP
02-18-2009, 06:55 PM
We could give it to our freinds but every year we would have to get new ones most likely.

3% Solution
02-18-2009, 07:00 PM
Yeah and we NEVER TELL the family of the oooops!
But they get to eat it !!!