PDA

View Full Version : What Price for Sap?

ibby458
02-18-2009, 07:51 AM
I was approached by the old farmer up the road, offering to sell me sap. That would work out well for me, since I lost most of my buckets in our house fire last spring. I'm also short on sugar wood, so buying sap would give me time to top off the pile between boils.

Question is - What's a reasonable price? Maple News had published a list a while back, but it got burned up, too.

briduhunt
02-18-2009, 10:02 AM
I have two different people who are supplying me with sap. The deal I made with them is for every 40 gallons of sap they bring to me I will give them a 1/2 gallon of syrup. Both sap suppliers have 20-30 yard trees that they are tapping and that means higher sugar content so I will make more syrup per gal of sap and both of my suppliers know this. This helps me make more syrup with less labor needed to gather and less fuel needed to gather.

Maplewalnut
02-18-2009, 10:18 AM
Wow, that seems pretty high. Even selling commercial you figure a gallon of syrup is worth $44. So that equates (if my math is right) about $0.55 cents a gallon of sap for 40 gallons of sap.

michiganfarmer
02-18-2009, 10:22 AM
IM offering 30 cents per galon for 2% test, 40 cents for 2.5%, and 50 cents for 3%. It has to be collected daily, it has to be clean, and it has to be delivered to my saphouse.