PDA

View Full Version : Hot dogs in sap?

Z/MAN
02-17-2009, 08:04 PM
I read somewhere in the past about cooking hot dogs and hard boiling eggs in sap.
Has anyone had experiance doing a little cooking while boiling? I don't plan to add anything to my boiling sap but was wondering about doing a little cooking on the side. Do I cook in raw sap, boiled sap or almost syrup?
I can always go for some good quick eats and a homebrew while boiling!

ericjeeper
02-17-2009, 08:40 PM
I often boil eggs in my sap. Not about to put a greasy old hotdog made up of lips and the other ends.
The eggs do not take on much flavor unless cooked in a pretty heavy concentrate.

KenWP
02-17-2009, 09:48 PM
My wife frys eggs in syrup at sugering time. Guess is a old Quebec tradition. I am hopeing for at least a liter of syrup this year so that I can try this out.

buxtonboiler
02-18-2009, 03:07 AM
I havn't tried it myself, but there are plenty of sugar houses around here that do it on Maple Sunday.

mfchef54
02-18-2009, 07:43 AM
Brats are very tasty cooked in sap. Makes a healthy tea also.

jrthe3
02-18-2009, 01:10 PM
my grandfather cooked eggs in his back pan i remember one of the last years he boiled he had a prob with the sap not coming to the front pan the pipe that hooked the two pans together was almost pluged with parts of hard boiled eggs

bobsklarz
02-18-2009, 01:33 PM
jrthe3,
Laughed and laughed some more when I read your biggest fear in your signature. Sooooo true!!!

partsrus1974
02-18-2009, 06:10 PM
There is a video on U Tube of hot dogs being cooked in the rear pan,its amazing what some peolpe will do!!

3% Solution
02-18-2009, 06:43 PM
Hi Guys,
My granson thought he should do up a couple of eggs in the syrup pan.
That worked well for the first few times .................
Then he dropped one while putting it in .................
That was just about all of that being done!!!!
Took an hour to clean the cooked white out and clean the pan!!!!!
Now all the cooking is done in the house!!!!!!!
Now, tea or coffee from the sap is ok!!!!
Draw the sap off before adding the tea or coffee!!!!

Dave

KenWP
02-18-2009, 06:51 PM
Old timers around here used to put egg whites in the evaporator to help skimm the crap out of it.

hurryhill
07-11-2009, 10:32 PM
Hi there,
Been awhile since I've been on trader but thought I'd reply to your question - the results have been interesting!!!

I use the double boiler method of boiling eggs and hot dogs in sap. Have an old pan with a lid designated for each. I use sap that is nearly syrup and then pitch it when done cooking. Have a designated place in the evaporator where each pan sits snuggly between the partitions ABOVE the boiling sap. When the eggs are "done" I crack em and cook then a little more so the syrup gets into the eggs. Always be careful not to set a pan on or near the bottom of the evaporator (as it Shuts off the liquid under the pan and can create a mean burn spot - a scoop fell in once without my notice and I had a burn spot to clean up later.) My crew likes maple mustard with the maple eggs and maple hotdogs. You may already do this but adding boiling sap to a
pack of powder hot cocoa makes a mean drink after gathering too. I would never put eggs or hotdogs directly into your evaporator - it is a pure product after all.

Re: cleansing syrup for personal use using eggs/milk is a great way to improve clarity but not for filtering syrup you want to sell. Start with a small batch of cold syrup, stir up an egg in some milk, stir it into the syrup and heat the syrup. The egg/milk mix will come to the top bringing every impurity with it. Your syrup will be clear enough to read a newspaper through it!!

Regards, Jan from Hurryhill