PDA

View Full Version : Condensation in stacks

Four Saps
02-17-2009, 02:33 PM
Has anyone figured out how to ride the condensation running down the stacks back into the evaporator?
We have designed something, but there is always a better way.

ericjeeper
02-17-2009, 03:18 PM
My steam stack goes horizontal before going vertical. Simply because I did not want to put a hole in my new roof.The horizontal run is downhill away from the hood. The water just runs out into a bucket. (it used to drip on the ground.til it made a mudhole)
I would think there would be many ways to incorporate a catch basin that dumps into the trough on the bottom of the hood. Basically a bunt cake pan with a drain off to one side over to the hood trough. And have it suspended by wires.

Haynes Forest Products
02-17-2009, 06:07 PM
My stack is short only clears the roof. The steam keeps it hot so there isnt condensation that builds up and drips back down. Now if you have a steam stack that clears the sap shack and then goes another 10ft up the steam will condensate and drip down.

maple flats
02-17-2009, 08:36 PM
My 2 stacks both have plenty of condensation. I suspended a trougth to catch it and this slopes to one end and empties into the hood drain channel and out into a bucket. My trougth slopes about 4-5 degrees and then at the low end it slpoes maybe 45 degrees to the drain. Whole thing is aluminum. The first trougth hangs of 2 aluminum straps pop riveted in, the steep one rests on the second strap under the low end of the trougth and the bottom of that sets in the drain gutter. I can lift it all out to clean in a minute or less.