PDA

View Full Version : Rail gasket?

shawk
02-17-2009, 02:02 PM
Has anyone used extra pieces of 1" ceramic blanket to make a rail gasket? What are the pro's and con's or should I just try and fine a 1/2" thick gasket designed for this.

DS Maple
02-17-2009, 04:29 PM
The thick blanket material tends to fall apart quicker than the woven rail gasket. Other than that it would do the same thing.

Haynes Forest Products
02-17-2009, 04:46 PM
Im sure that the Maple guys can get it if not try Maple Pro. I got flat fire place door gasket that was 1" X 1/4" and it came in a roll you pay by the foot. Its easy to work with and I would pop rivet it to the arch rail so it doesnt fall in during pan changes.

shawk
02-17-2009, 07:59 PM
Having a hard time finding anything thicker that 1/8". Was hoping to find some that was 1/4" or 1/2". Anyone have a source?

ericjeeper
02-17-2009, 08:42 PM
Rural King ,TSC I use a round rope door gasket in a 5/8 thickness.. I think it is pretty close to a buck a foot.

danno
02-17-2009, 08:45 PM
I've used the blanket as rail gasket and its worked fine. Just cut the blanket in long strips. It will dull your scissors, but cuts pretty easily.

Maplewalnut
02-18-2009, 06:57 AM
I also use blanket without any problems. Regardless of what I use I replace it every year since I like it draft free when I start up every year.

HODGE
02-19-2009, 08:05 PM
For a cheap gasket I've used fiberglass strips cut from fiberglass suspended ceiling tile. Just cut the panel into strips and take the plastic film off. Cheap and fireproof.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
02-22-2009, 01:56 PM
The strips of blanket work great and just lay it on a board or piece of plywood and cut the strips with a utility knife. I used it every year up until this year and ordered some woven rail gasket from the maple guys with the adhesive backing when I ordered some supplies from them. When I used strips of blanket, I would sometimes use several pieces on the sides, the piece did not have to be the entire length of the arch. I liked the 1/4" the best and I replaced it every year.

Bucket Head
02-22-2009, 02:18 PM
I do the woven strip material, also rivited on, like Haynes. It does not move, and if your careful taking your pans on and off, you'll get a few seasons out of it.

Steve