PDA

View Full Version : Woody flavored syrup

Sugar Sue
02-17-2009, 07:11 AM
I check in some old posts from 2002 about some off flavored syrup. Mine tastes woody? The kids say it tastes corny. The syrup is coming my first run and from the first draw. Tasted bad right off the draw. My second draw a few days later was better. The old post says that this flavor also happend a few years back( 2002). Can't remember what they called it? Is anyone else having this problem?

gmcooper
02-17-2009, 04:49 PM
Sue
I think your refering to the issue with sap/ syrup metabolized (ok that's not spelled right). That was a big issue for a few areas with many producers both big and small.

Not sure if your using tubing or not but tubing that did not get cleaned properly can shed some nasty flavors to the first sap that runs. What happens is the sap flow flushes out most anything in the tubing after the winter. If you collect and boil that first batch it can be rather disapointing. Many producers let that first sap run on the ground for a day or so. Those first few days sap flow may not be much so they are not losing that much.

Hopefully your next batch will be back to normal.